The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
check southwest outdoors Arizona and New Mexico I am going with them for bear. Pete has sent me pics from trail cams and there seems to be a lot of elk. I probably will go with them next year for elk. First on my list is color phase bear. I talked with them at Harrisburg and they seem like good outfitters, I can't wait till Aug. when I go for color phase bear with them.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've hunted elk twice with Broken Arrow Outfitters out of Alder, Montana. Small family run operation that is top notch IMO. Would hunt with them again in a heartbeat. Wherever you go best of luck! Good huntin'

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've hunted a couple times with Bob Atwood of Blue Mountain Outfitters. http://bluemountainoutfitters.com/
Very stand up guy and works hard to get you on elk. I'm going to do an antelope hunt with him this fall and hopefully an Oryx hunt if and when I draw the tag. Too late now to apply for draw elk tags in New Mexico for this year but he has private ranch hunts alos where you don't have to draw the tags.

·
4,225 Posts
Apologize for high jacking this thread but how many preference points do you need to draw an elk tag in New Mexico?

My friends and I have talked about NM as well but haven't purchased any points yet. We have been purchasing for Wyoming so far but want to expand for future hunts.

Again sorry to high jack.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
New Mexico does not use preference points which may or may not be a good thing. Everyone starts from scratch each year so you might draw every year or you may never draw. I have drawn 3 times over the years for archery elk. New Mexico uses a scale system of 84% of tags to residents - 6% to non residents and 10% to anyone resident or non-resident that books with a outfitter. I always used an outfitter which supposedly gives better odds. They used to have a balanced draw for the Oryx tags but that law was overturned about 2 weeks ago and they quickly adopted the same quotas as the elk tags.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts