The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into bow hunting and am not very knowledgeable. I have fired compound bows before but have never owned any. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as crossbow vs compound bow? Also where might be a good place to buy something used.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Effectiveness and range are comparable.

Generally the compound will be lighter and more maneuverable from a tree, quieter and easier to get off another shot. But, they must be drawn and held and require much more practice to become proficient.

Crossbows are heavy, awkward to carry and manuever and generally much louder. But, they require less preactice to become proficient and are mechanically held at full draw.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. When weighing all factors I would give the edge to the crossbow. Some prefer the traditional feel and function of vertical equipment instead of the modern feel of a crossbow. To each their own. It is best to shoot some and make your own decisions.

Arrowhead, a sponsor here, sells used equipment. Both vertical and horizontal and comes highly repsected from the forum members here.

Welcome to HPA as well.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Get yourself a longbow. Not quite as maneuverable as a compound, but much lighter, quieter, and just as effective.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
You might consider a Draw-Loc. It's the best of both worlds and you can choose to use it or not use it. it holds the compound at full draw and uses a trigger like a crossbow. There are vidoes on my facebook page (Arrowhead Outdoors) and youtube (arrowheadcrossbow). A draw loc is in a sense "training wheels" for a compound bow. It's a great aid to learning to shoot one as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
dpms said:
Effectiveness and range are comparable.

Generally the compound will be lighter and more maneuverable from a tree, quieter and easier to get off another shot. But, they must be drawn and held and require much more practice to become proficient.

Crossbows are heavy, awkward to carry and manuever and generally much louder. But, they require less preactice to become proficient and are mechanically held at full draw.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. When weighing all factors I would give the edge to the crossbow. Some prefer the traditional feel and function of vertical equipment instead of the modern feel of a crossbow. To each their own. It is best to shoot some and make your own decisions.

Arrowhead, a sponsor here, sells used equipment. Both vertical and horizontal and comes highly repsected from the forum members here.

Welcome to HPA as well.
x2

I completely agree with dpms. I've been (compound) bowhunting for better than 20 years and just last year bought a crossbow. I was never able to shoot groups as tight or as consistently as with a crossbow.

To be consistent and good with a compound bow, much more practice is needed. Once I got my x-bow sighted in, the first time I shot at 40 yards I hit the first arrow I shot with the second one. I have heard countless people say crossbows are so accurate you should shoot each shot at a different part of the target, and I agree. I can shoot consistent 1.5" groups at 30 yards with the crossbow, not with my compound.

I would venture to say most compound bow shooters, while proficient, are not as consistent as that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts