The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent spotting scope for shooting. I currently don't shoot more than 200yds and I'm having a hard time seeing where I'm hitting the target at that distance with my 9X scope. What's a good spotting scope for that application that won't cost me a fortune?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at that one earlier today. Let me know how it works. It won't get a ton of use from me so I don't want to get crazy with one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think my suggestion would be based on what you consider inexpensive. I have very little experience with scopes in the $100 and under range. I did own the Winchester 12-36x50 at one point and thought it was great at the lower magnification settings. Once you ramped it up over 25x or so the image become extremely dark and very little advantage was gained.

I have recently read some good reviews of the Eagle Optics Denali (on sale for $99.99 now at Eagleoptics.com).

If you are looking for something of a bit better quality then I would suggest either the Vortex Sandpiper 65 mm or the Vortex (Unbadged)80 mm scope both of which are available at http://www.cameralandny.com for $199.99.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I'd offer this suggestion. Within your price range don't be swayed by big magnification numbers. To see fine details, ie. tiny bullet holes, quality of glass is far more important than power. With less expensive glass high power means dark blurred images.

Years ago I had a Leupold compact (don't remember the power) and it just wasn't usable at seeing distant bullet holes. They are quite expensive but today I have an angled Leica APO (16-48) and a straight Swarovski (20-60), they have to be absolutely perfectly focused but you can see holes at 300 with both of them.

For 200 yards I think 16-20X if good quality would be fine. 20x is the equivalent of looking at it bare eyed from 10 yards, should be enough.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
What I would ask a new buyer.

How good are your eyes? That alone can bear on what scope you can buy and one you have to buy.

How do you use it? Do you use it for spotting distant game out west, while hunting or scouting?

Do you use it at a rifle range only?

If you only use a spotting scope at a rifle range, with good vision, you can go for one of the adequate less expensive scopes. Most ranges are in the open; no great shadows; used before dusk and after dawn. Great, great scope magnification is not needed for many ranges, when used.

I've used a Bushnell Sportsview (keep the scope in the box)for some years, and it meets my needs of range use only and very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts