The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions? Just for target shooting for now, maybe hunting in the future. Don't want to wrap a whole bunch of money into it in case she loses interest. Around 300, give or take.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm not going to suggest any specific brand or bow, but I will suggest you look for the following: camo in color, it will resell better than anything "pink"; adjustable cam and poundage from around 17# to near 50# or more and adjustable drawlength from 22/23 to around 27/28 or more. You are looking for a youth bow or women's bow that can easily be resold to a large audience. These bows don't usually drop too much in price or value.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Diamond from BowTech. They are right in the price range you're looking at. Very versatile n can be used to hunt. I second the camo.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just had the same question posed to me by a woman who wants to get into shooting, not necessarily hunting yet. I did some research at local shops. Here is what I would suggest:
Depending on who is a local dealer in your area and the bows they carry, then in no particular order, Hoyt Ignite Package, Bowtech Fuel Package, Mission Craze II package. Dollar for dollar, all you have to add are arrows and a release. With that, figure the total investment will be at least $475.00 for new equipment. For the $300 ball park you talked about, then you are going to have to go used and best bet right now is Archery Talk, used bows are at a low cost but going quickly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Bear Apprentice2 I think 23-27 in adjustable draw.max draw weight is 50 # my son just outgrew it.3 pin sight, whisker biscuit, kisser button,ready to go.PM me if interested.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If I was a total newbie on archery prices, I'd start at Hunter's friend and learn that some companies specialize in high end bows and some have some beginner bows. http://www.huntersfriend.com/compoundbows.htm

Interested in price, I'd look at Fred Bear and PSE. They have bows at $299 for bare bones bows.

Good for beginners, women and ol part time archers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd go with the Craze. Has all the adjustability needed and a decent bow for the price. But mainly for resale value. They sell on AT for close to MSRP. That way, if she becomes not interested, you don't lose as much $, or if she loves it and wants a higher end bow, the resale value is there to put toward a new bow.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Shooters Showcase near Slippery Rock, PA, has the Craze for $224. My 9 year old daughter is shooting a Bear Apprentice now and if she didn't have that bow she'd have the Craze.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The Diamond Infinite edge package is pretty sweet- I would swap the sight and rest though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts