The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old wants to shoot his rifle this year and he wears some pretty thick glasses. he does good with iron sights on handguns but full scopes elude him. I'm thinking about putting a reflex or large barrel dot sight on his .243 this year....yeah, i know it's late - if we can't get this to work for him, he's pretty wicked within 50 yards using the beads on the shotgun barrel (can hit a 7" dessert paper plate every time) with the 20ga barrel throwing punkin balls (remington reduced recoil foster slugs)

being budget conscious as well...christmas is coming...y'all got any thoughts on using a reflex/red dot on the .243?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
go on the hawke web site and have a look--They have a reflex for around 150.00--I purchased a red dot sight for 50.00. Mounted it on an older model H&R single shot 30-30. sighted it in at 50 yds--- Accuracy it good for a dot sight, not as precise as a scope. My eye sight isn't as good as it once was and I also wear glasses-- Down side with a red dot and glasses, you might get a star burst instead of a sharp dot..

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in the end, it was his money buying the scope and he went cheap on me. some lessons need to be learned hard despite my efforts to get him into a better piece of hardware. We ended up with a Tru-Glo 5MOA dual color dot scope with no magnification.
So far, it has held up to the minor recoil well but the gun itself is wickedly inaccurate. We ran some 95gr fusion bullets through it (this was the first time out) and it is challenged to pull an 8" group at 50 yards. THinking it may be the scope, i pulled it off and rocked the iron sights for a few shots - same story, i put 5 into an 8" circle at 50. after a lot of reading, i think this is just too heavy a bullet for the rifle and i found some 80gr federal SP's. will be heading back out to try them in the next day or 2.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just an update for documentation purposes. He ditched the red-dot, and scored a Simmons 3-9x on a black friday deal for 49 bucks with an additional 40 bucks in mail in rebates. 9 bucks for this scope is an absolute STEAL.
Pair with this we found some federal 80gr sp's and hit the range shooting a 1" group right off the bat at 50 yards in a dirty gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts