The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rangefinder that I have is a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800. It works well but is big, bulky and at least 20 years old. I basically can't use it when I'm on stand bowhunting and can't wear it around my neck when I also have binos on.
I'm looking for a new and smaller rangefinder. Don't really have any preference what the make is as long as it works and is compact. I don't really need a long, long range ability either. Out to maybe 500-600 yards is plenty. Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Check out the Halo 600 or 700 models. I have one that is good for 600 yards. It fits in my pockets and works great. Got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Vortex Ranger 1000. Excellent product with an unbeatable warranty on top of it. It's small but just has the feel of a well made product. It also features red "lettering" for lack of a better word, that I can't believe I'd gone without. You'll never strain to see what the readings are again. Fantastic.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I just used my new sig Sauer 2000 that I received for a christmas gift the other day while hunting groundhogs and it worked great compared to my old Bushnell I ranged a hog at just under 500 yards.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Late long time huntin' bud had a new Leica 1000 the last year he was up to camp for firearms season. Far better than the Bushnell that it replaced. Only got to use it once for me, on a doe I shot across the hollow from camp.

I figured it at a tad over 400 yards, based on known "benchmarks" on that hillside across from camp.

He ranged it at around 435, just as I squeezed the trigger. Got fired up because I couldn't "wait another second". When we fetched if off the hill and threw it up on his tailgate, he noted that my shot was a bit low. Told him it was as dead as it was gonna get, bit low or not.

:smile2:

We checked his Leica against several benchmarks in the area that we had hunted deer and woodchucks in for many years. Those had been established with another amigo's Barr and Stroud optical, years before. Little if any difference in those marks and what he got with the Leica.

I've had a Bushnell 800 compact since he passed away. Works well on distances out to 500 yards if the weather is right. Cloudy days it ain't worth spit on anything farther than about 400 yards, unless it's on a very reflective mark. But it's small enough to keep in a coat pocket in deer season.

Haven't done much medium long range shooting in the past several years, figure to give that a whirl again this coming season. Had a very nice buck at close to 600 yards last season, late on the second day and walking across a hay field.

If I go into that area this year, it'll be with my heavy barrel 25-06, not the sporter M700 I had last year. Might be time for a better range finder, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts