The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Over/Under

Thought I'd start here, I'm looking to purchase in the future an over/under. Looking to stay under a thousand. The gun will be taken for trap and upland hunting at times. Have the pumps and semi's but want something differrent. I have been looking at the CZ (Redhead), Pointer (1000 field), and Stevens (555). I'm staying away from Tri-star and not really sold on the Stoeger. Does anyone have any negative from the three I'm looking into, or the postive of the Stoeger (anymodel).
Thanks

·
Registered
955 Posts
Re: Looking for a Over/Under

Do yourself a favor reconsider the Tri-Star and stay away from Stevens. If you can up your budget about 200.00 more you should be in the ball park for a nice used quality O/U like Browning or Beretta. It'll take a little looking but they are out there, I know. Checked the Classifieds there's a Citori up for $850.00 gun looks great.

·
Registered
818 Posts

I've heard good thing about TriStar but I'd look either at a quality used shotgun or go take a look at a Winchester 101. Sold by Cabela's they go for 999.00 when on sale and they're worth every penny. Made by FN in Belgium. They are a quality shotgun. They utilize a Beretta style lockup. Uses invector Plus chokes.

·
Registered
689 Posts

You are at a distinct disadvantage shooting Trap with a field gun. The reverse is true for hunting with a trap gun. I wouldn't buy any of the 3 you are looking at. I rather have a good used Browning or Winchester 101.Charles Daly also had guns made in the Miroku plant that are a spitting image of the Winchester 101. The 20 ga. I have is appears a mirror image of my Win. in handling.

·
Registered
941 Posts
What these guys said.
If you are on a budget, buy a used quality gun from beretta,browning or even SKB.
Stay away from the Russian and Brazilian stuff.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Granted, every one has a different budget, but always, always remember, you get what you pay for. Might be better offf biting the proverbial bullet and spending $1000-$1500 on a used Beretta or Browning as those guns will last you a lifetime with proper care. The under $1000 gun will only last a few years with lots of use until it's a useless rattle trap. That said, my first O/U was a Tri-Star Sporting Clays and was a beautiful gun (back in 1995). For about 2 years. I am willing to sell it to you for $200. :shocked: There would be nothing wrong with any of the 3 guns you are considering if their sole purpose is for hunting. The constant pounding of shooting clay target games will wear out a lesser quality gun very quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a very nice Franchi Instinct SL Sporting 12 ga. with 30" barrels, removable Muller chokes, adj. comb, & adj. kick pad. $1500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts