The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am currently looking to get a new (used) pickup for a short commute to work, but mainly as a hunting rig. I have owned two dodges (loved the first one) and I am sick of dealing with the dodge problems. I was an industrial mechanic for awhile so I know my way around a wrench and machines, but not to good with electrical. I have a $6,000 budget and want to get a truck that is reliable and easy to work on. I was thinking a mid 90s Ford with either the 302 or the inline 6 and I was wondering what your guys opinions are . Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
You can,t beat the 300 inline 6.The whole truck will fall apart around that engine.It will run forever.The oil pans are known to rust out though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have any experience with wranglers. I am used to a full size truck but they have been tickling my fancy for awhile I was wondering if you can put two people with gear in it. I also waterfowl and would be willing to take out the back seat. Just curious how much room you actually have.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 300 in line 6 is a great motor. We have 1 sitting under the bench at the engine shop. Ran 147 mph in 1/4 and was a maple Grove record holder.. they are virtually indestructible!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have a wrangler and waterfowl and archery and run dogs and it has worked for me. My brother and I took it to camp for the last weekend of the season and got two coolers, two rifles and all out gear in the back seat without taking it out. I can fit a shotgun, a dozen full body lessers in a bag and my ground blind in the back as well without taking the seat out. I got a hitch hauler and small trailer if I want to take a treestand or all my decoys anywhere but haven't had any issues yet using it to hunt what I need.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Mad Minker said:
The 300 in line 6 is a great motor. We have 1 sitting under the bench at the engine shop. Ran 147 mph in 1/4 and was a maple Grove record holder.. they are virtually indestructible!
Wow! that had to be a 9 second run, what the heck did you have it in, a golf cart lol. With power like that I wouldn't have it under a bench

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I think i'm going to go with the wrangler. Trying to start to be more of a minimalist when it comes to my life. So I'm fairly certain a wrangler will work well for me. Just wanted to make sure there was enough room to be able to make it work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts