The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did something really stupid last year. I washed my treestand harness vest with my rangefinder in the pocket. Oops!!!! Well, as you might expect, it no longer works. It was a Bushnell Sportview. Nothing fancy, but it did what I needed it to do. I'm looking for a replacement, without breaking the bank. Any ideas? Personal experiences?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I too am in the market for a rangefinder, my first. I did alot of asking, reading, and posting. What it comes down to is findind what features you want/need. And for me I am getting a Bushnell Chuck Adams edition rangefinder. Some say the angle feature is not needed and some ay it is. But for a rangefinder that shoots out to 800 yards with alot of features, for $200, IMO its hard to beat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love my Leupold RX-750

Tons of features and True Ballistic Range (TBR is great! i like it most because i can switch between rifle and archery calibrations

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Double said:
I love my Leupold RX-750

Tons of features and True Ballistic Range (TBR is great! i like it most because i can switch between rifle and archery calibrations
I thought he said he didnt want to break the bank?!?! Im just messing with you man. Those things are nice though, just wish everyone could afford one.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have the nikon archers choice, but if I had to make a decision between ARC technology and rain capabilities, I'd get one with the rain capabilities, especially for those mornings with slight fog. I keep getting 4 yd readings when I can see out 50 yds.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've had the Bushnell yardage pro trophy, Bushnell yardage 450, Nikon 440 and Bushnell yardage pro legend. They all got the job done and worked fine, I was just trying to find one that suited me the best. The Bushnell yardage pro trophy seemed a little to bulky. The Bushnell yardage 450 only had 4x magnification. The Nikon 440 was nice and small, but I found the 8x magnification a bit much when archery hunting in the woods. So far the Bushnell yardage pro legend meets my needs, fairly compact and 5x magnification. I mainly use mine for archery hunting and don't want to have to carry binos and a rangefinder. I've bought and sold most all of the rangefinders on ebay around 50-75% of new cost. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting the Cabelas VLR II with ARC. I got it for $179.99 minus a $25 discount coupon for a purchase of $200 or more (of course I had to buy some other goodies) minus about another $6 in Cabelas points. All in all a pretty nice deal. It works nice so far in my wooded back yard, taking readings off my elevated deck. I'm anxious to get it in the field.

Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I have the old Bushnell, model 500 I think. Its bulky, but it works. One feature I dont like, is that it wont register any reading under 20 yds.

My next will be a leupold which calculates the uphill or downhill angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts