The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am looking into getting a new beagle pup and I have a few questions. The first is this. Does anyone know of any breeders in SW PA with good dogs? This question may be for another part of the forum, so I'm sorry if this was a boo-boo. The second question is, would it be better to buy a dog that is started, or a puppy? What do you guys usually do? I can't decide which I want to do. Any other advice would be great as well. I am thinking I want a female, if that is helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's hard to say if a breeder has good dogs or not, what I consider good others might consider junk and vice versa. As for the puppy vs. running dog that's a personal decision, how much money can you spend? How much time can you spend training pup?

I am guessing you already have dogs you would want to get something similar in speed or you'll have a mess on your hands. In that situation it helps to know what bloodlines produce what style of dog.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Ditto on what John said.

Most guys won't sell their best running dogs.
You can get a jut started dog, maybe a year old or so easier than a fully trained gun dog.

I know a fella up in Binghamton that raises pairs from each of his litters and then sells the one he likes least for about a $1000 after their derby year and he gets it every time.

I always like watching a pup develop, but you need time and access to game, and an open mind.
Most of us who have what we want have been at it a while.

PA is in a real transition zone as far as dog styles go. We are right on the edge of hare country, where a bigger faster dog is preferred. And guys that really like a slower cottontail only dog that stays tight on the line.

So you'll see a lot of different types of dogs around here, from big ole wind splitters that just fly to dogs that get down there a grub and you can literally walk alongside as they chase. Also everything in between.

Don't be afraid to PM me, John PA, Andy Purnell, Huntin54, just to name a few,
We all know each other and see a lot of different dogs when you are looking at a dog.
We can pretty much tell you the dog's style based on it's ancestry.

John L

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll hijack some, predictions for this litter from some of the more seasoned beaglers?
I'm picking up up a pup that'll come w this ped.:

Sire
Whitneys mad Max
Dam
Brankos Singing Sue

Sire
Brankos Phantom of the Opera
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
FC Brankos Heli Prop
Dam
Brankos Princess

Dam
Brankos Conna
Sire
Brankos Copper Boy

Dam
Brankos Saucy Sue
Sire
NLPC FC Brankos One Tuff Ombre

Dam
Brankos witch Hazel
Sire
FC Brankos Casanova

Dam
Brankos Little Rugrat
Sire
FC Brankos Warlock

Sire
Brankos Marshcreek Dozer

PUPPIES

Dam
Brankos Marshcreek Cocoa

Sire
Dam
Brankos Ella Ella

Sire
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
Fc Brankos Baba Cowboy
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
Brankos Copper Boy
Dam
Brankos Conna

Sire
Brankos Jack of all Trades
Dam
Brankos Pretty Freckles

Sire
Fc Brankos Ali-Baba
Dam
Brankos Manitoba Frosty

Sire
Dam
Brankos Pretty Freckles

I'm currently running a branko dog, but the bloodline isn't nearly this "pure".

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My current ped includes:
Brankos Manitoba Kojack
FC Brankos Jackpot
Brankos Dixie Chick

Along with some Big Meadows

So id be looking at more of the same style I have now?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Along with what the John's said, since they pretty much covered all the big stuff, is handling. If you raise a dog from the get go as opposed to buying a 1 or 2 year old dog, it's going to be used to you, and listen accordingly. If it's in the house from a pup, even better. I grew up around dogs that didn't handle, you never realize how agonizing it is until you hunt with something like that.

That being said, I have a dog that I bought as a 1.5 yr old, and she handles better than she probably should. Still, my house beagle I raised handles like a bird dog, and it's nice.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just my 2 cents,, I like starting pups and watching them progress. Yes it can be time consuming but if the pup works out its worth it,, because like Smoke 'n Mack said they are used to you and listen accordingly. Some of them don't turn out to be what you want but that is the chance you have to take.

Some good advice here. I'd go watch some different bloodlines and see what will fit your style before you jump in and buy something.

I just picked up a new pup yesterday.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Brine said:
I'll hijack some, predictions for this litter from some of the more seasoned beaglers?
I'm picking up up a pup that'll come w this ped.:

Sire
Whitneys mad Max
Dam
Brankos Singing Sue

Sire
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
FC Brankos Heli Prop
Dam
Brankos Princess

Dam
Brankos Conna
Sire
Brankos Copper Boy

Dam
Brankos Saucy Sue
Sire

Dam
Brankos witch Hazel
Sire
FC Brankos Casanova

Dam
Brankos Little Rugrat
Sire
FC Brankos Warlock

Sire
Brankos Marshcreek Dozer

PUPPIES

Dam
Brankos Marshcreek Cocoa

Sire
Dam
Brankos Ella Ella

Sire
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
Fc Brankos Baba Cowboy
Dam
Brankos Poetry in Motion

Sire
Brankos Copper Boy
Dam
Brankos Conna

Sire
Dam
Brankos Pretty Freckles

Sire
Fc Brankos Ali-Baba
Dam
Brankos Manitoba Frosty

Sire
Dam
Brankos Pretty Freckles

I'm currently running a branko dog, but the bloodline isn't nearly this "pure".
Wow. That is pure branko. As I started to look down the list, I thought, "this hound is gonna move".

Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
psychobeagle12 said:
Hey guys. I am looking into getting a new beagle pup and I have a few questions. The first is this. Does anyone know of any breeders in SW PA with good dogs? This question may be for another part of the forum, so I'm sorry if this was a boo-boo. The second question is, would it be better to buy a dog that is started, or a puppy? What do you guys usually do? I can't decide which I want to do. Any other advice would be great as well. I am thinking I want a female, if that is helpful. Thank you!
There are lots of folks who breed beagles in western pa. The first thing is to be honest with yourself with what you want. I assume you will want to run this hound with your others. What speed/style are they? Once you determine that, then you can narrow it down a bit. Most small breeders specialize in style.

As far as pup vs. started vs. finished. I have been tossing this around for quite a while.

In the past 14 months I have bought two pups and a running dog. I plan to get another one if the right situation arises, which will put me at max.

You should first ask yourself if you are willing to spend 2-6 evenings a week all summer long running dogs.

If you would rather be fishing or groundhog hunting after work, get a running dog.

Pups are great if you are going to keep them in the house because you can "train" them to be inside dogs from the get go.

Pups are cute.

Watching a pup start is like seeing your kids walk for the first time.

Started dogs are sort of nice because they are usually six months or older. The bit extra you pay would have been spent at the vet anyway. You also get an idea of the style. While a pedigree gives a good indication, there are always exceptions.

Great question and good luck.
Brian

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
As has already been mentioned, YOU gotta know what you want in a hound.. Speed,Hunt,etc. then ya gotta go find it... You could wear out a pickup truck doing that.. You just lost a good dog, now you feel that need for a replacement.. Be patient, know what you want first and formost.. Several guys on here seem willing to help ya.. Go see their dogs and LISTEN to their advise on who to contact for a dog. These guys have been in this game awhile and seem like good guys.. Listen to em..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You just lost a good dog, now you feel that need for a replacement.. [/quote]

Well... no, that isn't the motivation. I mean, yes, my dad did just lose a good dog, but that isn't why I want a pup. I have been throwing around the idea of a new pup for about two years now and since I started a good job and am making some real money and still having some time to spend with the dog I feel like it is a good time to look seriously for a new pup. Believe me, I don't take the decision lightly and fully intend to weigh options carefully before choosing a pup! Thanks everyone for the many pieces of dog-buying advice! Very helpful!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts