The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new dog and am thinking of a GSP. I live and hunt in NEPA and would want a close working dog with an easy going personality. The dog would be in the house with the family all of the time. I hunt grouse, woodcock and pheasants in thick cover. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with any kennels in the PA, NY, NJ area? I have always had Gordons and love them, but cant seem to find any breeders that have the larger older style (they were almost like a Ryman setter in size and hunting style) I cant seem to locate the breeder that I had gotten the previous dogs from in Wisconsin, it was Tartana Kennels run by Holly Wachuta. Excellent dogs. I am not interested in the smaller field trial style dogs like the Springsets, though they are good hunters too. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
This is out close to Erie but not nearly as far for you as Wisconsin.I bought a GSP pup from him in oct 2017 from the recommendation of a friend.She's a GSP so she's a little bit of a PIA but otherwise,the most affectionate,obedient dog I've ever had.Her natural ability to hunt amazes me every time we have her out.She in your face constantly but the entertainment value she provides along with her affectionate personality and ability to hunt far outweigh the times when she drives me crazy.

German Shorthaired Pointer PA :: Mar Mac Kennels :: McKean, PA

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would recommend ShoreShot GSPs( see website). They are located in Barnegat, NJ. Active with NAVHDA and do a great job of selective breeding. I have a 3yr old male that I am over the top happy with. I can also PM over contact info if interested.

·
Registered
480 Posts
She in your face constantly but the entertainment value she provides along with her affectionate personality and ability to hunt far outweigh the times when she drives me crazy.
"Entertainment" value ... nice way of putting it ....LOL ... I have a 5 month old GSP puppy & she's certainly provided some "entertainment" value so far. My 5 year old GSP however is certainly not entertained by the shenanigans of this 5 month old puppy.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Buy a copy of the "Pointing Dog Journal" they have adds in the back of the magazine for old time larger Gordon Setters

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are a couple guys on this board that have those lines of Gordons, I think. Both grouse hunters.

Robert Ecker of Midnight kennels has a female Gordon from a litter of one of them. He would be able to help you out if your looking for a setter (English or Gordon)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As I mentioned in my thread "To Hunt or Not", I had to put down my great GSP in Dec.

After 4 long months of being dogless and much thought as to if he could be replaced, I checked the Warriors Mark Kennel website and darned if they didn't have a litter due in late March. I was thrilled to get the 3rd pick of males available around Memorial Day.

I just checked their website and notice that all of the GSP were sold which does you no good.

However, they may be worth checking because they indicated that there may be another litter available in the near future. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
"Entertainment" value ... nice way of putting it ....LOL ... I have a 5 month old GSP puppy & she's certainly provided some "entertainment" value so far. My 5 year old GSP however is certainly not entertained by the shenanigans of this 5 month old puppy.
Five months old was a pretty trying time for ours.When she was about 9mo old she actually went through the window in our living room to get at some robins in the yard lol.That was a fun phone call from my wife at work,considering she didn't want the dog to begin with.After about a year,she started to figure things out and became much more manageable.Now I just laugh every night when I look over and see the dog sleeping on my wife's lap.The older I get,the more I like dogs and dislike people.I'll never be without a GSP.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Five months old was a pretty trying time for ours.When she was about 9mo old she actually went through the window in our living room to get at some robins in the yard lol.That was a fun phone call from my wife at work,considering she didn't want the dog to begin with.After about a year,she started to figure things out and became much more manageable.Now I just laugh every night when I look over and see the dog sleeping on my wife's lap.The older I get,the more I like dogs and dislike people.I'll never be without a GSP.
OMG - i can't help but laugh about the window incident. Two nights ago - I went to take some trash to the can on the side of my house (it was some meat that had gone bad in the fridge) and the pup apparently thought it smelled REALLY good and she launched herself at the living room window trying to get to me (and some funky smelling raw meat). It was kinda concerning at the time - those living room windows are still old single pane glass and need to be replaced - I'm pretty sure she could end up going through one.

This pup is trying to say the least. The older one had her moments, but not like this one.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Gotta love the puppy stage........after you get through the puppy stage. Kinda like teenagers.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Ours still tries to mess with me when she thinks I'm not watching and I doubt that will ever change but she actually listens better than anyone else in my house.She's not hyper as much as she's just enthusiastic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will give another thumbs UP for Warriors Mark. I am on my second GSP from them in the past 15 years. My first was still hunting and pointing birds after turning 13 years old. My second is just a year and half old. He is every bit as good in the field as my first but is much easier to control. Not as hard headed and very lovable. They seem to have about two litters per year. Give them a call, I am sure they could tell you when the next litter is planned.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dusty W GSP's in Palmerton PA. Jenn handles the breeding and getting you the color and sex you want. Mike handles training. Both are great people, their dogs all live with them. No kennels and they hunt all their dogs, and they are great hunters. Check out them out on facebook or on the web. You can also see their dogs in action with Wild bout huntin. search the media and old seasons last episodes. Either way good luck. Hope you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know this is an old thread but if you want a close working dog, you do not want a GSP.
All of my GSP’s have never been “close” hunters

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
I know this is an old thread but if you want a close working dog, you do not want a GSP.
All of my GSP’s have never been “close” hunters
Mine generally doesn't stray more than 50-60 yards.I kept her reined in fairly close from day one and now she works very close.She works an area by running circles until she homes in on a scent and stays close.I really didn't do that by design.We started her on live birds early and I just didn't want her getting out of reach of my commands.For whatever reason it just stuck with her.If we hunt a narrow field,my son will walk one side and I'll walk the other.The dog runs up about 50-60 yards and works back to us in circles.When she reaches us,she runs back up the edge and just repeats it.We didn't specifically train her to do that but that's the way it worked out.If there's a bird in there,she's most likely gonna find.She won't run out a 1/2 mile,find a bird and hold point until I get there like a field trial dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts