The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a maple syrup boiling pan

can anyone give me some info on finding a maple syrup boiling pan. I want to start doing it on a small scale.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Re: looking for a maple syrup boiling pan

Go the the Wild Edibles board, search back for a thread called Spiles/Spouts and they have websites for suppliers of maple sugaring supplies.

·
Registered
496 Posts

No you need one that allows more surface area. Then it would work Really well.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts

Yeah, but then I'd have to stand over it and keep adding more sap to it and worry about it getting too low and burning, etc. With this I turn it on, go check it in about 6 hours and its about ready to bring into the house to finish.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Crow, Do a google search for WEGNER METAL WORKS. Andy does nice reasonable work, a 2x3 pan would probsbly do you good to start out.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

The one I use, I made myself out of cheap carbon steel.....its about 33x40 or so, I just bought a flat sheet, cut the corners bent it on a brake, and welded a box out.............I also torched a hole in it and welded a 1" nipple in there for threaded fittings to drain...........All in all I have about 60 bucks into it........it works pretty good.......we have used it for about 5 years......For next year we are building a new evaporator using a couple coal stokers, and some stainless pans....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

Oh yea, I welded a few straps over a corner, and I can set a 5 gallon bucket full of sap there with a hole drilled in it, to keep adding .........I stick a nail in the hole to control the amount of sap running out into the pan.....

·
Registered
12,089 Posts

I saw some shallow stainless steel pans at a institutional kitchen supply place. Pretty reasonable for the size. I would worry about how thin the metal bottom was though.

The wider and shallower the better for evaporation, but I have been using 20 qt stainless stock pots for a long time. They are about 22 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

I posted some pics of our setup in another thread in here......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts