The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 4wd atv, with at least 400cc. What would be considered high mileage on one? Are there brands to stay away from? I was thinking something less than 10 yrs old, but is that too old?

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
I bought a 400 Eiger ( Suzuki ) in October. It was a 2003, with 1600 miles. I paid $1900.....I’ve put 400 miles on it in a little over 2 months.( mainly trapping ). If you can find one with under 2000 miles, that’s great. I just retired another Eiger, a 2002, I literally ran the wheels off it. I think I owned it 12 years, it had an eximated 15,000 miles on it, as the odometer broke at 9000 miles. Stay away from machines that have a bunch of busted plastics, probably rode hard. Sometimes you can find one owned by an elderly guy or gal, and just used in the yard. If it was garage kept, that’s a plus. Although I plow with the quads, I’d rather find one that wasn’t used as a plow machine. I own a 1999 Quadmaster 500, a 2001 Quadrunner 500, and a 2006 Kingquad 700. They are all Suzukis I bought used. The 700 has EFI , others don’t. I never have a problem starting any of them.

Do not buy into the Chinese ATVs, you’ll regret it. Hondas and Canams are the top of the line. I had bad experiences with a Polaris, but maybe it was just a lemon.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
Have a 360 Kawasaki 2008 which has been used for hunting, scouting, some firewood hauling and some food plots. I keep it clean, perform regular maintenance and put on one new set of tires. It still starts good in all weather and has never failed me. The Kawasaki has been a good ride for me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have an 08 polaris 500 with over 4000 hard miles on it still runs like a champ. alot of factors to consider when buying a used quad.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I just traded in a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500 cc that I bought in 2003 with 2200 miles on for $3800. The dealer gave $2000 towards a new 2018 Forman

Believe me I beat the crap out of that machine doing food plots, hauling deer and people, I once hauled out 3 deer and another person down off a power line at the same time. 2 deer where in the back basket, one was dragged with a rope and my buddy was sitting on top of the deer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts