The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9yo branko male that i bought directly from branko as a pup, he is out of a dog named warlock and holy moly.. He is an outstanding dog, hard hunting runs a good rabbit and retrieves them for you and never gets tired. he is 13".. im looking for a good female or someone who wants to take a chance on a breeding. I want only 1 pup..I know this sounds crazy to some but this dog is definately worth it.. He does have some foot to him and is not crazy, he definately has brains..I am NOT a trialer.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You say NOT a trialer like that it's a bad thing. It will be hard trying to get someone to breed to an unproven male. Your best luck would be buying a female for yourself and making your own cross.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
John-PA said:
You say NOT a trialer like that it's a bad thing. It will be hard trying to get someone to breed to an unproven male. Your best luck would be buying a female for yourself and making your own cross.
Yup
Not an indication of your dog's quality but that's how a lot of other people get to see your hound perform.

Also might consider approaching someone with a female that you like and asking about leasing her.
This is fairly common up this way.

John L

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info,, trialing is not a bad a thing,, I had done it for a while, he has a 3rd and Nbq from when he was 18 months old, he is 9 now., I stopped when I got to see what politics plague dog trials,, not to mention alot of the so called "good dogs" would rather run the grass paths that were cut than jump in the brush and hunt.. If I offended anybody I appologize.. thanks..

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
No offense here either.

It's just hard to get someone interested in breeding to a dog that either hasn't been proven at the trials or a dog that they have never seen run.

I have no problem breeding to a good male, even if he was never trialed in his life, but I would have to hunt with that dog every chance I got for a complete season before I could make that decision.

John had a good point, you might be better off finding a female you really like and trying to lease her.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom,
how are ya?? my english setter is doing well,, shot 11 pheasants this year and whole bunch of chukars.. she pointed 2 woodcocks and 1 grouse..i only shoot good solid points as per your advice when you took me out..I maybe seeing again soon..

craig

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Good luck finding a female. I have a female out of Warlock straight from Branko as well and she is a firecracker and runs great. If your's is anything like her I bet he's a fine rabbit dog. Was planning on breeding her but now I have to hold off for a little as I'd really like to cross her with my reggie male.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In October 2002, my friends and I hunted with Warlock at Branko's. Warlock was an outstanding dog. The temperature was in the teens and there was snow on the ground. We ran about 10 dogs at the same time, and Warlock was by far and away the best. We were very impressed with him.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm always up for watching a good male run. I prefer not to keep much in the way of males myself. If I can breed to it and don't have to feed it...

I probally would have a female you'd like but I don't make any crosses light heartedly. I would have to watch the male quite a bit. Having a HUGE nose and accurate mouth is a big plus.

I'm not big on the idea of leasing. I'm not sure that's for me. Seems like as the owner of the dam you stand the most to lose. I don't think I'd let someone else whelp my female so that means more work for me. I've had some generous offers but I've turned them all down. I've never made a penny in beagling if this was a business I'd have to declare bankruptcy. The only reason we do this is for us. To lease a cross out seems contradictory to our goals and needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts