The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to hunt Ohio this year.I have an 870 set up for turkey, But the price of barrel is a lot. For a few more bucks I can get a Savage 220 or 212. All help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would recommend a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter if you don't mind a single shot slug gun. They cost around $220. Comes with a rail to mount scope. For the price of a barrel you can get a complete gun.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You can buy a Rem 870 12 guage fully rifled slug barrel with a scope already mounted for $259.99 from Cabelas. When I looked up the savage 220 and 212 they were around $400, was that pricing off on the savage?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
and the 8790 barrel is rifled!!!

i have a 220 (actually 2 of them0 they will not be a bad choice, light and smooth bore accurate, but for the $$$ I'd get the 870 rifled with a cantalure mount.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
A 870 shooting slugs kicks like a mule. I had a slug barrel for mine don't anymore. To much kick for me. I went the muzzleloader route and am much happier. I am tall and skinny so I don't like a lot of recoil. My muzzleloader is my go to gun. Killed more with it than any other. If you like recoil a slug gun is fine but its not for me. Plus you get added season with a muzzy. Go flintlock and your season really expands.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 870 in 20 guage doesn't kick too bad with slugs. When I'm practicing in the months leading up to gun season I'll shoot 10-15 rounds at a time. By 15 I'm just a little bit sore, not much, but why keep shooting after you start to feel it?

The 12's do kick more, substantially more.

Modern day rifled slug barrels with sabot slugs are shooting machines though. Fiance's brother in law dropped a doe at 183 yards 2 years ago with a scoped rem 870. I haven't shot on farther than 70 yards with mine, but they're not the pumpkin balls of years ago.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Why not a muzzleloader though, same power and a big ol 50 cal hunk of lead and just as accurate.more seasons avalible

seems like a no brainer to me, but i love my muzzy and understand the question was about a slug gun.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Ithica Deerslayer is a great slug gun. Give it a look.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
Why not a muzzleloader though, same power and a big ol 50 cal hunk of lead and just as accurate.more seasons avalible

seems like a no brainer to me, but i love my muzzy and understand the question was about a slug gun.
Sure, makes sense to me as well, just not something I have any experience with, so can't offer much advice.

maybe the OP hunts with a group that only does the gun season, and wants to be with his pals? I don't know...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't muzzleloader hunt & was looking to stay simple.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 and have had 870s in the past. Wish I still had one. I would buy a cantilever barrel for the 870 and put a good scope on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts