The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved permission from a local farmer to come out and hunt his farm after coyotes killed 2 of his sheep. He told me a neighbor had been hunting them and had no success. He had apparently called some in but missed and didn't get them. He said that he hadn't hunted the farm in a month or so, so I told him I would come out friday night and give it a try.

Friday night I show up and did my thing and I didn't see anything, I mean not a fox or a coyote, no hang ups no nothing. I'm by no means the greatest hunter in the world but generally if they're there I'll at least see something. Well saturday night I went back at around 10 pm at night to hunt a diffent part of the farm and when I parked and turned off my truck I could hear someone already calling the field. So I walked the other way to the other end of it and I could still hear the call going, full blast. It never stopped, the entire time until I could hear the batteries start to go dead and I decided to pack it in. The call ran non-stop for the whole 45 minutes while I was there. While walking back I met the guy who was doing the calling and he said he hunts there every saturday night and during the week sometimes like that.

So I guess my question is. Is there anything I could do to approach it from a different angle or should I just not even bother going there anymore because of the neighbor. Its a pretty high pressure situation I guess and I'm not used to hunting areas like that. Normally where I go no one else does for the most part. I wouldn't care that much but the farmer is a nice guy and an acquaintance and if I can help him out I want to do so.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I would set some traps rather than trying to hunt them. JMO

·
Registered
693 Posts
If it is being called that hard ... I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe try an early morning hunt at day break with some different sounds.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about changing up the times, but thats hard to do. I commute an hour each way everyday, work full time, and am going back to school for my MBA. My only free time is really friday and saturday night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts