The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the rain we had this year I love the big bores and in that weather I would not hunt with some of my firearms
I looking at the ruger 375 hey at under 500 bucks how can you go wrong ? Once you venture into the 375 h.h you looking at over a grand just for a used gun. I can’t see spending that kinda money on a gun that rarely gets used.

Just looking on input 375 ruger vs 375 h.h

·
Registered
36 Posts
375 ruger is great. My dad and me both have one. They work great on deer from 30 yards to 300 yards. My dad almost got to try his on a bear. As for the ruger over H.H. The ruger is basically the H.H. In a smaller package. Stats actually put the ruger a little ahead of the H.H.

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
450 bushmaster

I've been talking myself out of the Ruger 450 Bushmaster. Look at the specs and the reviews on YouTube.

It is cheap and accurate. I don't know how long I can resist! :grin2:

Reactions: joe8768

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A vote for the 375 ruger. Had mine to Maine but didn't see a bear. Do you need it for a BB? No. Need has nothing to do with rifles, There are some good reduced loads for practice, use on deer, or at the range if you reload. Recoil not bad at all IMO.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A vote for the .35 Whelen. Less recoil than 375, more rounds in the magazine. Still throws a 225 gr bullet at 2700 fps. A .270 or '06 can be rebored to .35 Whelen. I had a stainless Rem 700 rebored from .270 to .35 Whelen and it shoots great.

I have taken 7 bears in Canada with .35 Whelen.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 45-70 1895 along with a 35 pump.

Just looking for a cheaper gun that I won’t mind sitting out in the rain. Looking at the 375 savage

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
What kind of sissy guns can't you take out in the rain?
I carry the same peep sighted Remington 760 in 30-06 for bear no matter what Mother Nature has to say about it!

·
Registered
523 Posts
If your ok with a slug gun the Stoeger 3500 12 gauge is a good choice. Mainly because it’s a semi auto inertia driven system with only three moving parts. I once saw I guy drop it in a lake pick it up and fire off 3 shots flawlessly. You can probably pick up a used one for about $400.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts