The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into a SLR camera, right now I'm leaning towards a Nikon D5000. Does any one have an opinion? Thanks

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
I tend to lean to Canon myself. From other discussions I have with photographers there isn't a difference in quality and the lenses do not cost as much. Reason some pick Nikon and some Canon, it is what they are used to using.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nothing wrong with Nikon but be prepared to spend a pile of money if you want good glass. Camera is only the small $ part in DSLR . If you want a good lens for wildlife in Nikon be prepared to spend $5000.00 on up just for glass . If you can by all means go for it !

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
crappie fever is right on.......I have Nikon, because I've used Nikon optics for many years and I happy with them. Plus i do not know (personally) any one that has Canon, only Nikon. So I could not physically compare the two....I do know that they both have great quality DLSR's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Camera body/sensor comparable. Glass=large advantage to Nikon. Cant shoot truly professional quality photos without good glass. Good glass=more cash.
Think about what you want in your pics and pay accordingly.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The D5000 is a good starter camera. Yeah Nikon glass is going cost you more money But it the best Glass you can buy
You can buy a Canon and still use Nikon glass but you can buy a Nikon and use Canon glass...... But really you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon they both are able to take outstanding photo's!

I can't speak for Canon. I have a Nikon D40X and a D300 I just got the D300 the other day. I had the D40X for three years and it a great camera I have the 70-300mm Vr lens for it, its a great lens for about 600 bucks(little less). If your going get the D5000 I would get the 70-300mm VR lens also it's well worth the money. I'll PM you a link to my web-site all photo's were taken with the D40X and the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm Vr lens.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Another good place for research is the camera rental websites, amazon and B&H photo. Read the reviews, ratings etc.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Pen,

Read up all you can and compare them. You will find the Nikon and Canon's almost identical.
When I recently purchased mine I was soooo close to buying the Nikon D5000 too or a Canon T1i until I seen them in person.

Get yourself to a camera store, to where you can physically compare and hold the 2.
That's what changed my mind.
At first I wanted the Nikon but then I preferred the Canon T1i after holding the 2.
I bought the Canon T1i.

Then, instead of getting the camera with the 2 kit lenses as they sell the package, I opted to by just the Canon body and purchased a Tamron 18-270mm macro lense.

Not saying it is the best glass available, but it was in my budget and it was more versatile for my uses. I didn't want to keep swapping out 2 lenses all the time.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Another thing maybe buy a used Body I bought both my D40X and D300 used it can save you a some money that you could you for a better lens. B&H,Adorama both has a used store or even look on ebay you can find good deal on a used body that somebody might be upgrade. A lot of the DSLR's shutter is rated a 150,000 before they fail. So if you can find something with low shutter for a lower price I would do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts