The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F-Troop79 said:
awesome......catch me in a blind
LOL. I'm relieved all that calling practice won't sound so odd from now on, especially now that the windows are open for Spring. We're new to turkey hunting, new to hunting period and I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to line up everything so we can head up for Spring Gobbler. I will take this as a divine omen that we are on the right path.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I can be there in under an hour, it sure beats driving 3.5 to my normal spot....LOL

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I saw 2 big toms right at the grays ferry exit off schulkill couple weeks ago. I got pics. Will put them up later

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hunt4ever said:
I saw 2 big toms right at the grays ferry exit off schulkill couple weeks ago. I got pics. Will put them up later
That's about where we are. I saw a beaver in the road on Gray's Ferry a year ago. My neighbor said her neighbor took pictures of a deer going in and out of the backyards on her block. The wildlife is exploding around here and we are so dense packed in, just 2 miles from downtown. Feels dumb to drive all the way to Pike County

·
Registered
645 Posts
hunt4ever said:
Must have been the two the I kept seeing then while working at the USciences campus off of that exit.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
There is no accounting for wildlife. About 10 years ago a buddy and I were gobler hunting in a copse of woods on his farm. Heard and saw nothing all morining so we went back to the farmhouse for lunch. There, on his back porch and in the yard, was a flock of about a dozen hanging out, strutting away. All we could do was laugh out loud and they sauntered off when we got closer.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
About 5 years ago my neice lived in Abbington area(Crosswicks) and she had birds in her yard many mornings. They crossed under Huntington Pike in the culvert for a small stream.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This tom is turning into quite the legend around here. It turns out he got in a scuffle with another tom over at the public gardens nearby and disappeared into the safety of the mean streets. Everyone is out for a sighting now and watching as this soap opera unfolds. I was glad they took the time to publish an article detailing the protected nature of wild turkeys, though. A number of neighbors thought that he was domesticated and was from one of the local farms (yes, we have farms in the city) so I was a little afraid he might be taken for dinner or put in a cage with chickens but I think people are catching on to let him alone.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I worked the west and southwest philly polices districts when I first started for about 6 years until I got transfered covering the whole city. In southwest Philly I saw many many deer near the airport (Heinz nature sanctuary) and the refineries. Also many turkey. In west philly near Belmont plateau I saw many deer,turkey and coyotes especially late at night!!! well no the turkeys..
I think it was 2003 we had a small buck travel from cobbs creek park up Baltimore av to 52nd st and enter a Chinese store!!! lol you should have seen my coworkers!!! they wouldn't go anywhere near that deer. Now that I cover the city I see all kinds of wildlife that most people don't know exist here.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
WestPhillyFam said:
This tom is turning into quite the legend around here. It turns out he got in a scuffle with another tom over at the public gardens nearby and disappeared into the safety of the mean streets. Everyone is out for a sighting now and watching as this soap opera unfolds. I was glad they took the time to publish an article detailing the protected nature of wild turkeys, though. A number of neighbors thought that he was domesticated and was from one of the local farms (yes, we have farms in the city) so I was a little afraid he might be taken for dinner or put in a cage with chickens but I think people are catching on to let him alone.
Did he come from bartram gardens? That's the only place I can think of that's close by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts