1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
looks like some corn in there too

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Its looking good! I can't believe the critters haven't wiped it out!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the deer dont seem interested yet. the ground hogs, well thats a different story. Took care of one and another showed up the other day. Missed him once, he'll be back.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
How can deer not be interested in beans?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i wouldve waited and planted a mix of purple top turnips and other brassicas. come late fall early winter, you wouldve had a gold mine

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jlh, do you not know my master plan? Gonna let them tear this power plant up. Then in late august, the brassica mix is going back in. I planted it last fall and it was great. This is just a fun project for the summer.

Dutch,
I have no idea. I dont think these deer know what to think of it. I watched them walk right through it and head to the clover with barely a sniff. I think they will figure it out and it will be gone in a matter of days.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
makes sense, i hope its not roundup ready

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I’m seeing the same thing; I have an acre of beans planted and an acre of clover.
The deer spend about a minute walking through the beans nibbling as they go to the clover where they then spend the next two hours eating the clover.
The groundhogs are a different story we have taken 6 out of the beans so far, there are still more but the bean is so high now we cant ever get a clean look or shot.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hundreds of acres of beans around here and I NEVER see deer in them. Friends planted forage beans and the deer never touched them. Corn, clover, alfalfa seem to be a better bet.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
You've got better eyes than I... Cause I think I can make out maybe 2 sunflower plants in the whole plot with it mostly being beans and corn. But hey, what do I know...

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
CJBS2003 said:
You've got better eyes than I... Cause I think I can make out maybe 2 sunflower plants in the whole plot with it mostly being beans and corn. But hey, what do I know...
I was just pointing out and not trying to start trouble.

its about even between sunflowers and beans, there so close its hard to tell unless detail is payed attention to.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its the Powerplant mix so its mostly soybeans lablab, and cowpeas with about 10% sunflowers 10%sorghum. The beans are there trust me. And yes there are sunflowers here and there. The beans slowed down as the sunflowers and sorghum really lifted off in the past week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts