The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my Kiss my brassica growth updates from the fall. That was my first attempt at food plotting or whitetail gardening in my backyard. It was a success and I grew a lush green plot of greens which got hammered the first week of November and continued to get it all that month until only the bulbs were left which were munched on time to time until the first heavy snow. Spring has sprung and I devised a new plan for this plot. I decided to try my hand at a warm season annual mix and after much debate, I chose to try WTI Power Plant. (It was the monster buck on the bag that really made me buy it----not really)

I have also begun the conversion of the rest of the backyard into a clover/oats/chicory pasture. In the fall I spread a clover mix and forage oats. I had great success with that as well. The deer hammered the oats which never grew more than 5 in tall. This spring, I over seeded with Durana and added a good amount of Potash and Orthophosphate. Two weeks ago, I sprayed it down with arrest and I am just now seeing the browning/yellowing of the grasses.

The clover planted last fall is in strong and the durana is slowly but surely catching up. The only thing dissapointing me a bit is the lack of grazing by the deer. They come through, but dont seem all that interested in taking a bite. Could be that there is enough browse in the woods right now that there is no need to risk browsing in the open. I would like to see them discover it soon.

Now enough of the clover, back to the meat and beans. Through april, I spread lime, potash, and ortho phosphate on the old decaying turnip patch. (I really need a name for this plot) Some of the rape and alot of crimson clover regrew in the spring along with a weed. Earlier this month, I bought a troy built 6 tine tiller. It was small but ideal for area i was working because i am on a slope and it would be easier to handle. I punched away at it and made progress here and there.

Several hours of tilling and rock clearing by hand left me exhausted with more to do even.

At around 330 pm today, I had it tilled and was ready to plant. I was debating delaying the planting for a bit and prepping the site a bit more, but I got anxious to get seed in the ground. I tried to make rows with a garden hoe by hand, but that didnt go so well. That was going to take a good bit more time and I was growing impatient. I read the bag and it said the seed could be raked in or likely disked to 1/2 inch to 1 inch but warned against going too deep with it. I used a hand broadcaster and put out the seed and it started to rain. The newly tilled plot was getting soft and muddy and I used this opportunity to use my atv to pack the seed down into the soil. I hoped this worked. It is now pouring and I am hoping I dont have a seed wash out, but crap happens and thats why I still have plenty left over for a replanting. I have some garden stakes to put in and I plan to run a cord with white hankerchief cloths sprayed periodically with deer off tied to it to block off any deer traffic until the plot grows a bit. It would be great to have a jungle of sunflowers and beans by late July. Thanks for reading and stay tuned as I will probably update every so often on the progress as to include some trail cam pics here and there.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ok, I think yer addicted.....

You could use the tiller to work that seed into the ground. Set it so it doesn't go deep and it will do the job. You'll lose some seed due to depth, but maybe not as much as you think.

As lomg as turkeys don't find the seed, you'll be ok, I think.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think I should put down more than the recommended rate if this is the case? I'm thinking about putting a few more pounds down today. Its getting raided by two squirrels as we speak. Might have to put out a decoy.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If yer going to do, now is the time before the seeds sprout.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, little more seed to be added and rolled with the four wheeler. We got a ton of rain last night and more is coming. I dont think the tiller will work well in the mud. The tires should push it down far in this soft mud. Then Mr. Owl is going on top of the deck to stand guard. I keep going out and doing a hawk scream which is quite amusing to see the squirrels and crows take off. Might send the lab out on patrol as well.

The way my arms and legs are feeling, I have no desire to run that devil born tiller today.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
good luck with the power plant, we've tried it twice unsuccessfully. Couldnt find a way to control weeds in our chosen plot so we have gone to RR corn and beans.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unofficial update 5-27-10, Great germination in the plot. Also, just had first buck come through at yes 1115 am. It was a fluke and I dont think he came through to eat in the plot obviously cause its nothing but dirt and white roots popping up. There were two other doe as well that actually got my attention first. They were cautiously curious about the stakes and string I put up with white strips of tshirt hanging on them. I got my binos up and spotted the buck in the wood line. He was had branched off two brow tines and maybe an inch or two growth above that. Im hoping he walked in front of the cam I have over the water bucket. Week one growth update should be up when I return from Memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
im not planting anything till mid summer like I did last year, deer utilize the food plots better in august and september. also if you want deer to realy hang around alot plant corn or beans. deer will eat beens to the ground right as they start growing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts