The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place near SE PA that deals in longhunter style clothing? Many of the shoots are asking shooters to wear period correct clothing. I have none, and I look enough out-of-place by being the only guy that can miss every target!!

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
There are some reassonably priced clothes available by mail order for the 1810 to 1835 time period. Broad fall pants and a shirt will run you about 45 bucks from Gohn Bros out of Middlebury Indiana. You can cut suspenders out of leather and get a pair of leather wellington boots (not cowboy boots) It is an Amish mail orderr house. I have used their broadfall pants at rendezvous for 20 years. They even sell the pants in natural cotton color without buttons if you want to add your own antler buttons. Not really Colonial longhunter clothes, but certainly correct for a slightly later period. Gohn Bros is one of the few places that sells Osnaburg, a home spun linen looking material. Proper for a Rifleman's frock.

At some of the larger rendezvous, like the one coming up in May at Muddy Run Park in Lancaster County, folks put out trade blankets, and swap off clothes they or the kids have outgrown. Not a bad place to pick up some stuff.

At the really big get togethers like Ft Frederick's Market Fair, there will be several vendor's selling more Colonial appropriate clothes. But be prepared to pay$. Nearly every rural area has a few women who will do alterations and sewing for others. If all else fails order a pattern and hire such a woman to sew the outfit for you.

As a thoroughly last resort, track down your granndma and have her teach you to sew. (I got my dear MIL to show me.)

Several mail order outfits sell patterns. There are historically correct patterns and costume patterns. (Like a theater company would use just to get the look. ) either should do, although the costume patterns are probably easier.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
dixie gun works track of the wolf cooperstown tradind post or start hittting some of the redevous they alwats have somebody selling cloths

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mccoy
I agree with C Laubach check with Barb from yesteryear.She made some of my 18th century clothing, it is top notch.
she will be at lewisburg.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the information!! I am really getting anxious for Lewisburg now.....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
<span style="color: #000000">I will try to get back with a few but the events above are great places to shop as well as the back tent at Dixons Fair. Ive used Yeteryer 717 582 8147 and her shirts are nice.
I got my Hi Low Trekkers from http://www.fugawee.com
Other shirts from Debbs Historical Clothing, Cobb Creek
Also try http://www.Frontierfolk.com</span>

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
No problem--I have a ton of business cards too so I will dig em out soon and add to the list.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a ton??? I've told you at least a million times not to exaggerate!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
mccoy said:
a ton??? I've told you at least a million times not to exaggerate!!!
Im still counting!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
OK its actually 56 cards now to pick out what we need

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grey Bear Jr said:
Mccoy,

Barb will take good care of you. She does good work and will have most of the basics you need. When are you going to Lewisburg? I will be up on Friday.

GBJ
I will probably go on Saturday, the wife wants to spend the day there with me. I am a lucky guy, she actually wants me to build another gun, and shoot more like I used to do...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Village Restorations...Pam Roub
Joe Scott ---Accouterments Thomas WVA
GB--Leather ***** 5 stars
JC Heroux Ancient tools----Canada
Timberlake ----guns and stuff 864-363-7077
Beaver Bill Forgery-----Ohio
Cabin Creek Muzz. Hellam PA
Stash DavidHistorica stuff---Ohio
Druids OAK ***** 5 stars Hancock MD druidsoak.com

Gotta find the other stack Im forgetting a few---the rest in this is gunmakers...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cabin Creek?? I was just in there yesterday and the only clothing was what Brad was wearin'! lol. Thanks though for all these places to check out!! I am loving all the goodies to look at....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I was also thinking accouterments for you as well--possibly.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts