The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a trip coming up to Nebraska, shots could get pretty lengthy so im looking for a range finder that will accurately range deer sized animals out to somewhere around 7-800 yards. Read some reviews on the leupold 1000 and heard they're only good to about 400 on deer sized game.

What have any of you long range shooters found to be the best range finder for the longer distances. Tryin to keep the price around $400 or a little better if that's possible. But from what i have been reading, doesnt look like it's going to be the case. Any input is greatly appreciated as we leave in a little over a month

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
We have used the Barr-Stroud military surplus rangefinders for years (not something you want to carry around) The only laser range finder that i have seen that works on deer sized targets at long range is the high end Leica.never had the chance to use the Swarvoski they are also supposed to be pretty good. both are expensive.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have used Leicas and Swarovskis. Both are excellent, the Swaro tends to have a higher price tag. If I was you I would check out the Leica CRF 900 or 1200. Ebay has the 900 for $450

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright....thanks alot guys. I'll look into the leicas knowing swaro is out of the question as far as price

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It might sound a little crazy, but try Gander MT. I don't remember what the price was but last time I was there they had both the Leica and Swaro on sale.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't sound crazy. I'll try anything, after a brand new 300 ultra mag, leupold scope, and the money for this hunting trip i'll try anything to save a buck as this is about to make me go broke haha...hopefully it will all be worth it. Thanks again

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
Usually when a new model is introduced, places like Cabela's may have the older version at reduced prices and in fairly large quantities.

From what I have seen, Leicas are about as good as laser range finders get, although I've had few problems with my Bushnell 800 over the past 8 years. It cost me about $500 new back then, but basically the same current model is now less.

Many of the areas of Potter/Tioga where I've hunted deer and woodchucks for many years, were ranged with a Barr & Stroud optical a buddy had (he's passed on now). When I check those "benchmarks" (stumps, rocks, etc) with my Bushnell, they're right on the money out to about 500 yards. Only problems I've ever had with the Bushnell were with longer targets on cloudy, misty days.

·
Registered
889 Posts
CameraLand has the Leica 900 on sale for $429.99. They are first class to do business with also. That is the best you are going to get for your money-no doubt. The Zeiss is probably the best-but you are not going to get it for $400-they are almost $700. And IMO they are a bit better than the Swaro., but you are splitting hairs. Tom.

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
Yep on Cameraland. Doug runs regular specials on optics from Cameraland, at 24Hourcampfire's Optics Forum.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Leica is a very good range finder I replaced a leupold with one. Only bad thing which I just found out Leica doesn't do any repairs once the warranty over your outa of luck pretty expensive throw away

·
Registered
957 Posts
Cabelas has the Nikon monarch Gold 1200 on sale for about 419.00

The Monarch Gold Laser 1200 has equivalent features as the Monarch 800 with added ranging capabilities up to 1,200 yards. Powered by CR-2 lithium battery (included). Boasting Nikon's revolutionary Tru-Target™ ranging system, the 1200 lets you prioritize those smaller, harder-to-range targets. In the First-Target Priority mode, you can get an instant reading of a lone object in clear view. And with the Distant-Target Priority mode, you can range the farthest target the laser reaches, ideal for hunting in thickly wooded areas and ranging through brush, leaves and grasses. Backlit LCD. 7X multicoated optics with focusing diopter. Waterproof and fogproof. Uses Nikon's new Original Digital processor. Tripod adaptable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was on a guided Elk hunt in Colorado a few weeks ago and the guides had two types of range finders. One was a Leica Geovid BRF Rangefinder Binocular that cost a cool $1900 with a rangefinder built in and the other was a fairly large rangefinder a Bushnell® Elite 1500 Laser for $399 that worked like a charm. Both get great reviews at Cabelas and I guess I would opt for the $399 Bushnells.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Long range range finders

While it doesn't fit the criteria here there was a review in a recent edition of American Hunter for the Zeiss RF rangefinder.

I'm always a little skeptical of their reviews but the author was all but wetting his pants over the performance--including a boar at something like 1300 yards in poor light!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Long range range finders

I ended up with a used pair of swaro's from ebay and so far i'm very pleased. Was ranging the farthest trees i can see from my house last night at 1,136 yrds in very low light and rainy conditions. I figured since eventually we want to be shooting and someday hunting 1,000+ yds there's no sense in buying something that will do what we need for this year out to around 500 yrds but not what we'll need in the next few years. And for a $1,000 rangefinder that was only used for one hunting trip and in mint condition you couldnt beat getting them for $715. That guy must have more money than he knows what to do with haha

Thanks guys for all your input i appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts