The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a few posts asking for some advice recently. I had an old food plot that had gotten out of control because of neglect. Black locust, autumn olive, Japanese stilt grass, butter and eggs were all majorly taking it over. There was still some orchard grass, sweet clover and white clover left, but not much.

After a lot of hard work by my father, friends and I, we've gotten it back to producing some good forage and attracting the deer in... I've posted a few pics of the deer coming in. I had some issues with lack of rain in early September, but the food plot is coming along. I finally remember to take some photos of the food plot which was planted Sept 3. Here are some pictures... Share your thoughts and tell me what you think...

The view, the food plot is a hair over an acre in size.

The exclusion cage:

Some close ups of what's growing:
brassica

Clovers

More clovers, I am guessing the larger leafed clover is arrowleaf?

A new winter pea shoot growing with some old left over orchard grass and new oats and wheat sprouts

Anyone know what this is?

winter pea sprout

Does this look like wheat and oats or another species of grass(weed) that just came up on its own?

I guess the 3 week drought right after I planted the plot put me way behind. The brassicas are small, so I am not sure what their benefit will be. I know the deer are already eating them so they must be HUNGRY! Even with all the acorns in the woods, the deer are pouring into the food plot almost every evening.

Notice something in this pic?

Yes, that's a nice little patch of sweet clover, but there's also a shed antler... I actually didn't notice it until after I looked at the photo at my hunting cabin. The next day I went back, got lucky and found the shed!

Thanks for looking at my photos and sharing your thoughts...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
That is funny that you keep finding sheds out there. Plot looks good. I think it could be better though if you had the rain. Maybe in March I could help you spread a bunch of lime and replant next fall. Im getting into this food plot thing and have a project eyed up for stone valley. Ill be looking at getting a disc implement for my atv.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
That plant you are wondering about may be buckwheat?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a small percentage, like 1 pound in the mix. I knew it wouldn't do well with the planting time frame. So it may very well be buckwheat... Think the deer will hammer it before the frost kills it?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dutch, looking at some of those photos, does any of that grass look like wheat and/or oats or does it seem like something else? I am having a strange feeling much of it is some sort of fall annual junk grass... Not the oats and wheat I planted.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, as long as it is wheat or oats I'll be happy... I sure hope that is most of what the grass that is coming up is. The only stuff in the mix that should be grass like is the wheat, oats and triticale.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Looks like wheat or oats to me.

The one pic looked like the deer had nipped off the orchardgrass.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, we fertilzed it good so the deer have been hitting the orchard grass. After the first heavy freeze they'll really tear into it! I hope you are right about the grass being oats or wheat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts