The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a point for the 2016 spring to learn to run friction calls. I practiced a lot, and entered a contest mainly in support of my son, but I wanted to give it a shot. I pretty much ran a pot call for most of my run, but during my practice sessions I would run all of my friction calls in prep for spring.

One call that I didn't really practice with was the long box. I had a Harro Box elder Long box, that I played with but didn't really put much time towards.

I recently purchased a Lapp long box off of ebay, with intensions to give back to Mike as I thought it was one of his calls he won his 3rd Gibson with. Turned out it wasn't and Mike told me to hang on to it. The person I purchased the call with tampered with it, and I sent it back to Mike to check out. He did some modifications and sent it back.

Here is a video of me running that box.

https://youtu.be/RBeyMU_RuXo

I am amazed at all the sounds you can do on these calls. I really like this box, and plan on using it a lot in the fall. I am still learning how to run it as it is a bit different than your standard short box with a spring.

I think the Kees on this box are great. I think I may need to speed them up a little bit. Working on the regular yelps as well. They are a bit tricky as you need to figure out where to start your yelp.

My main plan for this box is to use it for fall birds. I am practicing on plain yelps and gobbler yelps as well. IMO the long box is much more versatile than a short box, but takes a bit more practice to get the hang of, and run. Also they require a bit more movement to run.

They are becoming one of my favorite types of calls.

I also enjoy the kees I get out of Jordan yelper. I just picked up a trumpet made by Austy Bott from a person on facebook. This call is also catching my attention.

I just may have to let the bow sit a little more this year and hunt fall turkey a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
.....can always stock one with a bow....lol.

I've done it twice now..a hen from a stand and a spot n stalk fall longbeard from the ground...

Didn't call them in...but a spot n stalk fall longbeard with a bow was probably my best hunt...

I too will be letting the bow it a little this fall...i gotta put the flintlock turkey gun to work!

Friction and box calls are my favorites....that's all I use...i can't run a mouth call to save my life...but I never give them a fair chance either I think is the main problem..where I've been running friction calls and boxes for like 18 years now...

I've noticed guys seem to play them differently too...and still produce great sounds...well..sometimes playing them differently results in horrible sounds lol...and each call takes a different hand...i can probably burst ear drums and make some incredibly sharp squeaks on a copper pot...change the pressure and striker hold and I can put out some raspy ole hen yelps...

Also struggle with wingbones... hopefully by fall I can use my wingbone from "the boss" to call in a fall bird and shoot it with the flintlock!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing that takes the most getting used to is there is no spring on the long box, so you kind of have to angle the lid. I am not sure the reasoning but I imagine is so you can angle and tilt the lid to produce different sounds. One long box can sound like a pile of different birds.

A friend of mine reverence a Marlin Watkins video where he gos over how to play the long box. All different ways to hold them and produce different sounds.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Long boxes or paddle calls are not fall callers at all, they are just as effective in the spring and I have called turkey's a long way in the spring with a paddle call. Just keep running it but shouldnt take long to get it down at all.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Kee kee's are one of the easiest calls to learn how to do on a diaphragm.One of easiest calls to learn it on is a TOP kee kee.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really beginning to like the versatility of a long box.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Silverspur said:
Long boxes or paddle calls are not fall callers at all, they are just as effective in the spring and I have called turkey's a long way in the spring with a paddle call. Just keep running it but shouldnt take long to get it down at all.
True that!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Silverspur said:
True that!
+1

A well-built, properly tuned paddle call will all but run itself.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
K. Gus said:
there is a very good video by Ralph Snodgrass on running a paddle call
https://vimeo.com/150213103

Years back, I learned to run a paddle call thru the teachings of the Snozz...We've become good friends & a finer gentleman, you can meet anywhere...

He builds a fine paddle call.... :thumbs

Paddle calls are great tools, once you learn to run them...Each callmaker has a way, he runs his call to achieve the optimum sound...

For those of you looking for a paddle call with a spring, look into a callmaker, named Billy Bush from NY...If you want his contact info., feel free to PM me..

Spring or fall, a paddle call can do it all..

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have been a user of Billy Bush calls dating back to the late 90's. Billy makes a fine call that will do it all from locating to finishing to the gun. His calls are loud at distance, but they really shine finishing birds playing the small talk.

I have several Snodgrass calls as well and his calls do it all as well.

Currently I carry two different Bush Longboxes and two trumpet calls. They get the most use and are proven in the woods. The "Preacher's Sermon" that Billy made for me years ago is the last thing many many turkeys have heard.

Great post Ole' Raspy, great calls.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As for the comment that a Longbox is not a fall call, you have not yet run a good well constructed and tuned longbox.

Good ones as mentioned here already will do it all. Kee Kee, gobbler yelp, lost hen assembly calls, gobbling, cutting, purring.......the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got a Billy Bush beggin machine earlier this spring
it is a fine paddle call, very easy running and has a great sound

this call is full of very distinct different turkey tones in it
it can be played very soft (and sound good) or loud enough to ring your ears

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
I bought another Bush call, just last week...

Lots of quality sounds in this call...
I enjoy finding all the different turkeys in Billy's calls..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been sitting out in the evenings still running calls,
it's no surprise that any call will sound better the more you get used to that particular call.

but this Billy Bush call has that extra something special that makes it stand out.

a fiddle that has not been played for awhile will start sounding better with regular use.

I got this Bush call used, it looks new but is several years old
I don't know if a paddle call can loosen up after sitting on a shelf unused, but whatever it is I'm impressed with this call

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
K. Gus said:
I've been sitting out in the evenings still running calls,
it's no surprise that any call will sound better the more you get used to that particular call.

but this Billy Bush call has that extra something special that makes it stand out.

a fiddle that has not been played for awhile will start sounding better with regular use.

I got this Bush call used, it looks new but is several years old
I don't know if a paddle call can loosen up after sitting on a shelf unused, but whatever it is I'm impressed with this call
Is it for sale.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well thanks for the interest but this one is a keeper that I'll hang onto.

but just so you don't think I'm stingy, I have a vintage "squealing hen call" that I inherited that I might let go.

I need to get over to see Mr. Snodgrass this summer, so many call makers, so little time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts