The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going this weekend to check out the 1 store posted in the topic I started about needing a string for my Dad's old Long Bow that I have..

Here is my Question..

I remember Dad using his hand as the arrow rest...no rest on the bow..I can not remember exactly HOW he did it..

Can anyone explain to me, HOW you rest the arrow on your hand when you shoot?
I get the understanding of it, but how exactly do you use the same spot over and over again??

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The web of your hand between your thumb and forefinger will be your rest. To be consistant, grip the bow in the same place every shot. I'm assuming the bow has a leather grip. Grip the bow so when the arrow rests on your hand, the top of the shaft is level with the top of the grip. This way, you have a consistant reference point. When you shoot, you'll cant (tilt) the bow to the side (You don't hold it up and down like a compound) Canting the bow will allow gravity to help hold the arrow against the side of the bow. If your arrow keeps pulling away from the bow when you draw, you either have too much finger on the string or you need to cant the bow a little more.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buckethead said:
The web of your hand between your thumb and forefinger will be your rest. To be consistant, grip the bow in the same place every shot. I'm assuming the bow has a leather grip. Grip the bow so when the arrow rests on your hand, the top of the shaft is level with the top of the grip. This way, you have a consistant reference point. When you shoot, you'll cant (tilt) the bow to the side (You don't hold it up and down like a compound) Canting the bow will allow gravity to help hold the arrow against the side of the bow. If your arrow keeps pulling away from the bow when you draw, you either have too much finger on the string or you need to cant the bow a little more.
I already do that with Dad's Old Recurve...I started out shooting a Recurve and Dad always made me tilt the bow when first learning, Even know it has a Rest on it....I have His compound and even tilt It when shooting it, but it has been a while since I've shot it..

Since picking up his recurve, I enjoy shooting better then I ever did when shooting a compound!

The Long Bow doesn't have a leather grip, Dad had used some kind of Felt material on the handle that has stripes on it like a Zebra...

Would taking a black marker and putting a mark on it help me to keep the same exact grip all the time?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
A marker would be fine, or just level the top of the arrow with the top of the grip that is on the bow now.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have been shooting selfbows without a rest for sometime, the arrow just lays on my index finger. Like most everything you will find the hand location naturally. It's easier than one would think.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
FWIW-Frankly after reading your post over and over, something caught my attention but I couldnt figure it out.

I am REALLY interested in your fathers bow. Just how old is this bow and do you have pics? You may want to see if this bow-one without a rest- that is possibly quite old, may be quite valuable. One that may be better served as a valuable relic/momento.

IMHO you may NOT want to risk the integrity of the bow. I mean no offense, just being cautious.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toxopholite,

I dropped the long bow off at Creek Side Archery in Middletown today...

Chris the Owner, told me the bow is made out of Lemon Wood and was a wood many used years ago to make long bows.....Average day guys like my Dad and Uncle and some of the well known bow makers all used the lemon wood...

He suggested that I Not get a String made but it was up to me..I want a string so he is making me 1...He said he has seen older bows Break when you go to string them..

I told him, if it Breaks, we will just glue it back together and I'll have him cover the bow in leather and some kind of fake snake skin like he showed me he has done with others and I'll make a mantel piece out of it!

He understands Why I want to give it a try with getting a string made seeing it was my Dad's and Dad had hunted with it and just said he wanted me to know what can happen seeing it has happened to him more then a few times when trying to string older long bows like this 1 my Dad made!

If it Breaks (I HOPE NOT) I'm going to work at getting a Long Bow thru This guy sometime in the Future...he had some Nice Bows in his Shop and showed me some that he can get that are reasonable priced!

He has a Black Widow Bow that is a Collectors Item hanging over a Display case..I was Amased at it and he showed it to me.. all metal limbs that look like Wooden Dowls and is like a Long Bow..he said it is his "Baby" and is not shot anylonger and is a Collectors Item!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I bought a used lemonwood bow at a flea market for $2 a few years ago. Fixed her up and gave it to my wife to use. Named it "Secondhand smoke". After a while we then gave it to a youngun to use somewheres around here lol.

I'd inspect the back of the bow 1st. If you see any splintering or lifting the bow most likely crack there.
Try using a stringer on the bow 1st to just gently bend it lightly at first then giving the bow some stronger deeper draws. Slowly here would be the ticket at first.

Good Luck with the bow it may still be a valuable useful weapon!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
Toxopholite,

Chris the Owner, told me the bow is made out of Lemon Wood and was a wood many used years ago to make long bows.....Average day guys like my Dad and Uncle and some of the well known bow makers all used the lemon wood...

He suggested that I Not get a String made but it was up to me..I want a string so he is making me 1...He said he has seen older bows Break when you go to string them..

I told him, if it Breaks, we will just glue it back together and I'll have him cover the bow in leather and some kind of fake snake skin like he showed me he has done with others and I'll make a mantel piece out of it!

He understands Why I want to give it a try with getting a string made seeing it was my Dad's and Dad had hunted with it and just said he wanted me to know what can happen seeing it has happened to him more then a few times when trying to string older long bows like this 1 my Dad made!

If it Breaks (I HOPE NOT) I'm going to work at getting a Long Bow thru This guy sometime in the Future...he had some Nice Bows in his Shop and showed me some that he can get that are reasonable priced!

He has a Black Widow Bow that is a Collectors Item hanging over a Display case..I was Amased at it and he showed it to me.. all metal limbs that look like Wooden Dowls and is like a Long Bow..he said it is his "Baby" and is not shot anylonger and is a Collectors Item!
Is that the guy from craigslist?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skube said:
Woodywoodduck said:
Toxopholite,

Is that the guy from craigslist?
Yep, the 1 you posted in the other thread I did about the String and Arrows...

Very Nice Guy to deal with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts