The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out with a stick bow,learning to shoot a bow,i mean.This was in the 1950s!My dad taught me and he didn't hunt,just shoot bows? I still have the bow he gave me!
As hard as i tried i never got a deer with it! There always was something unforeseen hindering my shoots? { My excuse for missing.}
In the 70s i bought a compound bow. WOW! What an arrow launching machine,i thought? It had a set of pin sights,that helped a lot,a peep sight, a fancy rest,aluminium arrows with plastic fletchings and seemed really fast!
Over the years i had learned a lot about deer and their habits and started to use tree stands.
I still missed deer but took home more than i had missed. A few really nice racks but most were just average. Yes and there were does taken to.All had good flavor when cooked or turned into jerky!
Next thing i know the Game Commission legalizes cross bows??? This brought an influx of"Never shot a bow in my life" hunters to the woods! Most of these weren't new hunters but just folks whom never hunted with a bow? I hear guys saying how fast they shoot and i only had to shoot 3 or 4 shots to sight it in with a scope!!!!!A 35 plus yard shot is nothing with one of these machines!
Am i jealous or envious?Heck no!
IMHO,these are not archery equipment but an arrow gun with out gun powder?
Do you have an opinion on the use of cross bows?Lets hear it.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
willyp said:
Most of these weren't new hunters but just folks whom never hunted with a bow?
PGC surveys show that most of those using crossbows are experienced archery hunters.

Do you have an opinion on the use of cross bows?Lets hear it.
I do but you wouldn't appreciate them, I suspect.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
In today's society where we have the extreme left trying to take not only our guns but alot of other things like hunting. We, as hunters must not fight amongst ourselves because by doing will so will only allow those against us to win. So at this point in the game, if someone wants to hunt with an AR platform, a crossbow, a spear, go for it brother and good luck. Why, because it automatically removes the argument from the left that it is not needed for hunting, two, we are one group and we are a large group.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Good night Irene.....here we go again with crossbows. Here's my two comments...1. It's a legal weapon for hunting in PA...period! 2. Why is this post here and not in the crossbow section?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
treed74 said:
In today's society where we have the extreme left trying to take not only our guns but alot of other things like hunting. We, as hunters must not fight amongst ourselves because by doing will so will only allow those against us to win. So at this point in the game, if someone wants to hunt with an AR platform, a crossbow, a spear, go for it brother and good luck. Why, because it automatically removes the argument from the left that it is not needed for hunting, two, we are one group and we are a large group.
Well said treed...totally agree.....I swear,tell me what good comes from a post like this.....nothing! I've said before and sad to say I will say it AGAIN....take your LEGAL weapon of choice and enjoy hunting in PA.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I started out with a stick spear, learning to throw a spear, i mean.This was in 3000 b.c.! My great great great great great great great great great great great great granddad taught me and he didn't hunt, just throw spears? I still have the spear he gave me!
As hard as i tried i never got a deer with it! There always was something unforeseen hindering my shoots? {My excuse for missing.}
In the 2900s b.c., i bought an atlatl. WOW! What an arrow launching machine, i thought? It had a fulcrum launcher,that helped a lot, and seemed really fast!
Over the years i had learned a lot about deer and their habits and started to use tree stands.
I still missed deer but took home more than i had missed. A few really nice racks but most were just average. Yes and there were does taken to. All had good flavor when cooked or turned into jerky!
Next thing i know the Game Commission legalizes compound bows??? This brought an influx of "Never threw a spear in my life" hunters to the woods! Most of these weren't new hunters but just folks whom never hunted with a spear? I hear guys saying how fast they shoot and i only had to shoot 3 or 4 shots to sight it in with a pin sight!!!!!A 35 plus yard shot is nothing with one of these machines!
Am i jealous or envious? Heck no!
IMHO, these are not archery equipment but an arrow gun without gun powder?
Do you have an opinion on the use of compound bows? Let’s hear it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Each to their own as long as its legal. I started compound, went to cross bow, and now only shoot traditional. I found the cross bow to bulky for my preference. I don't worry about how others do it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth! Initially I was against crossbows being used in the general archery season as I heard guys talk about how easy it would be and making LONG shots but they quickly learned they don't really stretch the max. range very much if at all. Some of these guys hunted with compounds and had terrible results usually wouunding several deer each year before finally harvesting one or maybe none at all. These guys hardly ever practiced and were never very good shots! Since they switched over to crossbows they now enjoy much better success and wound hardly any deer thus saving several deer each year. They are happy and I am happy for them and the deer! I am 67 and still enjoy using my Z7 but the time will come when I will probably have to switch. I have shot crossbows but just don't enjoy it as much or see it as much of a challenge? I can step outside and fling 20-30 arrows in hardly any time compared too having to cock every shot. To each his own but I do think the air gun is going alittle too far!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
BassBlaster said:
Any able bodied adult male that utilizes a crossbow during archery season should have their man-card revoked.
Here's a perfect example of what happens when this topic is presented on this site. Fellow hunters bashing and taking cheap shots at fellow hunters. So, should you question someone's macho manhood if a hunter shoots an inline and not a flintlock. Unreal.

·
Administrator
14,435 Posts
This thread has run it's course.

The topic has been discussed before so before folks get their nanny's twisted and respond with a not so nice response this thread is locked.

Thank you and have a nice evening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts