The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a Lone Wolf climber, either the Hand Climber (one with the smaller seat) or the Sit and Climb(bigger seat). What do you guys think/prefer, a little more comfort with a little more weight or a little less comfortable but a few pounds lighter. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve had both and prefer the hand climber. It’s just simple and packs great . I don’t find either especially comfortable and would say I prefer the HC seat though. I have a hunt comfort seat on order and heard good things about them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would get the sit and climb. I have both and I never use the hand climber anymore. The Sit & climb is much easier to use at least for me. I use one of those round seats and put it on top of the sling seat. It's much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No direct input on those two stands in particular, but the way I look at it, you'll spend a lot more time sitting in it than carrying it. I'd spring for the more comfortable option.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No direct input on those two stands in particular, but the way I look at it, you'll spend a lot more time sitting in it than carrying it. I'd spring for the more comfortable option.
That’s what I was thinking too, just trying to see if people think it’s worth the extra 50 bucks, I think I’ll go with the seat one. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have the Sit and Climb wide and converted mine into a flip top. I took the sit bar off mine because it's easy to climb with standing up and the bar served no purpose for me. I have the Hunt Comfort Scout seat on mine and it's very quiet and comfortable. I'm going to buy a hand climber seat for mine because there are several times I will walk back into an area and scout and just do a three hour hunt that evening and having a light stand is more important. Right now I usually take my Summit Open Shot for long walks back in because it's about four pounds lighter. It's nice to have a full arsenal of climbing and hang-on stands that best fits your needs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The sit and climb is easier to climb with if you are old or fat. If you plan on having it for a while you will probably end up being at least one of those things.

·
Premium Member
24,298 Posts
The hand climber model with strap(link below) is easily converted to sit climber.

LW Sit Strap

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you get the hand climber consider getting the one that is 30". I have the 26" and it's a small platform. I'm 5'7" and it works for me but I can't imagine if I was a larger framed person using it easily.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
The sit and climb is easier to climb with if you are old or fat. If you plan on having it for a while you will probably end up being at least one of those things.
I'm both and the sit and climb works well for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never owned a lone wolf but I like hand climbers better than sit and climb. You might want look at X-Stands they are super light.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I had the smaller hand climber and it worked, but it was way too small for me. Im 6’2” 230 and it was not easy to maneuver. It’s only 5lbs lighter than the summit viper which is twice as big. 5lbs isn’t worth it IMO

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bought a new climber, should be here before next weekend, weather isn’t going to be great this week, pretty warm

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Comfort isn't a big issue with me, weight and function are all I care about.

I have a couple summits, one open front with a hazemore seat, the other a closed front with a fold up seat. I like the lighter weight of the open front stand, and although i don't "sit and climb" i like the bar going around the front on the other one. It just feels safer, and if i want to face the tree i can sit on it. I hate packing either one in.

I read alot about how "comfortable" the summits are, and with the original seat I'd agree they are that. But I had to hang the top section too high when using it, so it was useless to me. The hazemore seat is fine, as is the folding seat on my other summit, although it weighs more, but they both are pretty heavy and bulky. I stand about 90% of the time so sitting comfort doesn't mean much, but packing extra weight does to this 63 year old.

I have a Chinese stand I bought years ago called a "rivers edge". It's smaller and lighter than both those summits, around 10 pounds with the hazemore style seat I made for it. If I'm walking a long way or exploring it's the stand I take. If I go for a quick morning or evening hunt I just take the platform and use my tether rope to help me climb. Not just lighter but quieter carrying in and silent to set up. My favorite climbing stand, although iv'e never used a lone wolf, or any of the others except summits and an api, which I like but it was a beast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts