The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Holy guacamoli! I do have an issue with the leather being used in place of a lead sheet in the jaws. After all, I do have my standards in tems of traditional ML.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just crazy. Some how I don't think that is how our forefathers shot supper.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's funny is this guy or his buddy are trying to get it legalized.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Actually, they were for sale at the Sportsmen's show in Harrisburg back around 1972 or 1974, BEFORE they were illegal. Technically, they are legal for elk and in the special regs areas where any muzzle loader is legal. They are illegal in the deer and bear seasons in the rest of the state. Frankly, they ought to be legal in the early muzzle loader season and the regular firearms season. They are very easy to make if you actually want to have one. Operate on a principle not much different than a wheel lock. I am not so sure a person could claim to have invented it. It is old technology adapted to retrofit an existing device.

Next you guys will re-discover the nuclear frizzens. I recently saw an ad for such a frizzen in Lancaster. The guy wanted $150 for enough to half sole a frizzen. I had such a frizzen on a trade gun. Sparks were bright blue and sizzled around the pan for five or six seconds. i think they would spark under water.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ad is awesome. He says there is only one guy in England napping flints. Lmao!

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
You mean like no plastic stocked carbines or hawken styles

<span style="font-weight: bold">The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800.</span> The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think that half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is the laughs you get when you hunt for a week to get a shot and the gun just doesn't go off.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
steelstalker said:
That's just crazy. Some how I don't think that is how our forefathers shot supper.
Maybe not, but do you really not think they wouldn't have if they could have? They used what was, at the time, the pinacle of technology and I am POSITIVE any self respecting frontiersman or mountain man would have used one of those things had they been available. Just because WE don't use them d/t game law regs and a sense of nostalgia, doesn't mean if it didn't exhist in 1750, every ML on the planet wouldn't have had one mounted to the hammer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mightyjoeyoung said:
steelstalker said:
Maybe not, but do you really not think they wouldn't have if they could have? They used what was, at the time, the pinacle of technology and I am POSITIVE any self respecting frontiersman or mountain man would have used one of those things had they been available. Just because WE don't use them d/t game law regs and a sense of nostalgia, doesn't mean if it didn't exhist in 1750, every ML on the planet wouldn't have had one mounted to the hammer.
LMOA, im not arguing that, but the spirit of the "Primitive" season is to hunt like our Forefathers did. with a Flint and some black powder and open sights, etc, etc, etc. Its not about what they would have used if they had it. They would have used an AR15 if they had it. Its about the Spirit of the season and tying to do things a certian way. Inlines, compound bows, etc, all have a place (I have them both)but when a season is put in place to what I like to think "Honor" the past by turning back the clock and forcing us to do things a certain way we need to repect that. If they put a season in for archery equipment of a style manufactured pre 1700 would you complain that the native Americans would have used compounds if they were available?

Ill never sit and argue that you shouldn't use synthetic stocks, or a plastic speed loader, but the "spirit" of the season is that rock "flint" striking cold steel and ignighting that pan powder, flashing it through the touch hole, lighting that charge and sending your patched ball toward its target. just like it happned in 1800 not like it would have happened if they had the technology to use a zippo flint.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Folks lose sight of the fact that a lot of more technically advanced firearms inventions did exist. For instance cartridge flintlocks existed. Wheel locks were more reliable than flinters. The Ferguson breech loading flint rifle was used in the Revolution. So was the superimposed charge musket. But such things required far more labor/expense to make and were far too complicated for the average person to maintain and operate.

So the argument that they would have used it had it existed, doesn't hold much water. We have had rockets for the past 60-70 years, but we don't all ride rockets to work.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
m77lewis said:
Looks like that huge flash would make just about anybody flinch!
DON'T SAY FLINCH, THAT DISEASE IS CONTAGIOUS!!!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw that last night on craigslist you just beat me to posting it. I looked up flintlocks on lancaster craigslist and it showed up this guy must have blanketed the whole state.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts