The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the property I hunt was just logged. (select cut, not cleared) I was wondering what I can plant to help keep the deer & turkey happy.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If the crown was broken so sunlight is now getting to the forest floor you won't have to plant anything.
Ensuring the logging roads are planted to prevent erosion is a best practice. Hopefully it was part of the timber contract. Another area you may be able to plant is the logging deck. Hopefully it was left clear of log ends.
What types of trees were logged? Was it handled by a private consulting forester or a logger? Was it a limit cut where only the trees greater than 16 inches were cut?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No contract, the land owner had Amish do the logging.

Most of the trees taken were oak, cherry and poplar with a few maple thrown in.

They only cut what the landowner told them they can take, not sure of the size he implemented.

Sounds like seeding the trails with clover is my 1st priority.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
mathewsarcher said:
No contract, the land owner had Amish do the logging.

Most of the trees taken were oak, cherry and poplar with a few maple thrown in.

They only cut what the landowner told them they can take, not sure of the size he implemented.

Sounds like seeding the trails with clover is my 1st priority.
For the health of the forest I hope the landowner was very knowledgeable. You would probably be able to judge that by seeing how many well shaped 18 inch and above trees remain. If they're all gone that's probably not ideal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts