The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question; today i have had 4 original percussion locks off of guns looking for parts and have noticed, like the one i've been shooting, none of them have a half cock position on them. i have only owned one percussion gun, a cva 35 years ago and it had a half cock. all others have been flint guns. how did they carry them back in the day? capped with hammer down? surely not capped at full cock. imput?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have an origonal double brl. shotgun with back action style percussion locks and they have a half cock in the lock, but they do not have a "fly" to prevent the hammer from engaging the half cock notch when firing the gun.

I have never seen a lock without a half cock notch.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I did not know that. To the OPs question though: how did they carry a caplock if you could not put it on half-cock and keep the hammers off the caps?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I bought one awhile ago, an original longrifle that had been converted to percussion. They say you buy the gun, not the story, but I watched the gentleman who sold it to me take it off the wall in the SHED it was in. He was 79 years old, and he told me it was hanging there when he was a boy. The gun had been placed there by his grandfather, and never moved. It was LOADED, CAPPED, and the hammer resting down on the cap ! I truly think they carried them that way, MHO.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Nearly all muzzleloaders had a half cock notch, but because of poor steel or abuse, the half cock notches were often worn away. I have some old doubles on which the half cock notch works just like another full cock notch they are worn that bad.

That said, a few original Scheutzen rifles were made without half cock notches, because they were made to be capped and cocked only at the firing line.

Of the originals I have had, all but one had a half cock notch, it actually worked on only one, all the rest were that worn.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I had the charge removed. I kept the cap, which looks like a tiny little top hat with a brim. I have a quote on reconverting the gun back to flint, as well as making it operational by repairing the percussion lock thats on it. I have not decided what to do with it yet, I have several persons that want to buy it, I just really don't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
joe, i would shoot the gun. i love shooting the old one i have and hope to get out and shoot a squirrel with it before the season goes out. nothing like firing an old gun like that. i can only imagine where and what that gun has done.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Probably leaning toward putting it back to flint. I do the same thing when I handle them, makes you wonder ! I handled a documented French and Indian war era longrifle once, now that makes your mind wander, wheres it been how many indians, redcoats, etc did it lay low? I love the stuff!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts