The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to cover your flintlocks when it's snowing or raining? I'm pretty new to flintlocks and need some ideas.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think a lot of us use what is known as a "cows knee". I've made several as gifts and mine tie onto your triggerguard with a couple of leather thongs. The cows knee then comes up and over the primed flintlock and is secured with another leather thong that I wrap a couple times around a bone or pewter button. There also known as lock covers. The Leatherman sells a commercially made one for $15.00. Just google The Leatherman and you'll find one under leather accessories on their site.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I just got mine from Track of the Wolf. It is made by "The Leatherman" and I think it cost 12 bucks. I just put a coat of snowseal on it for some added protection

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just checked out "Cooperstown Trading Post" never heard of them, looks cool and they have good prices. Do you know if they have a storefront?

·
Banned
900 Posts
Here is what a cow's knee looks like. This one though is made of more like a suede material. Most I have seen have been stiff leather.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

This is what I use; it's made with Chamois leather used for car washing and saturated with Sno-seal. Slather the Sno-seal on and then dip it in hot water and work it in real good. Let it dry and recoat with Sno-seal. It should be waterproof then. Test it by drapping it over a drinking glass and put some water on top; if it goes through in a couple hours then retreat with Sno-seal. Once it's waterproof take off the excess so it's not so sticky with a shoe shine brush. The older the cover gets the better it gets. One of mine is over ten years old and will pass the water test for weeks and never go thru.

·
Registered
502 Posts
They have strange hours call before you make the trip, It is a very cool shop they have it all

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It molds itself to the gun and lock and will stay put; it's an outstanding lock cover. You can make several for about 12 bucks. You just have to make and use one to see for yourself; posted many times but never hear back on how they like em. I have used the commercial ones and like these a whole bunch better. Try it and you will like it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
also suggest putting a gob of beeswax at the barrel/stock intersection forward of the lock. This keeps rain from channeling down the side of the barrel into the pan

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Mossie,
I have one of your covers in the works and hopefully it's ready for the first day. one more coat this evening. the test idea is good

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ill chime in a great idea just in case you dont get one or make one in time for this year----LOGGY uses an empty bread loaf bag with both ends cut open and then slid down the gun over the lock ---- add one rubber band to one end and another to the opposite---cheap and works!!!

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Mine's not tradition but I bought a plastic one from RMC several years ago.I sealed the inside with window insulation and it's 100% watertight.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Bunky's right about me using a bread bag in my elcheapo years
but I bit the bullet & bought a Leatherman Lock cover 2 years ago from RMC. I just rub a lil SnoSeal(or use mink oil)if ya cant find SnoSeal) on it & 100% waterproof!! Does an outstanding job!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts