The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pic's of a flintlock cover I make. It's made with a piece of new (car wash leather) thin Chamois leather dressed with Sno-Seal boot dressing that is made from beeswax.

Loosened up; hammer back and molded to see the sights; It's left on the lock to protect the lock for firing during heavy rain.

This is how it looks molded to the lock for maximum waterproofing during wet hunts. It helps a great deal when there is snow on the trees or raining. Tape your bore with electricians tape to keep snow/water out of the bore as well

It molds to the lock and stays put easily. It folds up small and is very quiet to remove. Your lock will never get wet again!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Great idea for a practical lock cover there Mossie & some good advice!!

I got the Leatherman Lock Cover from RMC couple years ago. I treat it with mink oil.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I use a piece of soft tanned buckskin, Tater called it my diaper LOL, and it kept my lock dry the day we got about a foot of snow then turned to rain.
It really helps if you tie something in the groove between the barrel and the stock to stop the water "flow", it will channel the water right into the pan if you are not careful. I use a small piece of oiled buckskin that is tied right on the muzzle side of the lock, you can compress the soft buckskin to fill the gap.
I have seen locks that had a groove made in them to turn any water away from the pan, I think they were called a "water proof lock".

·
Banned
900 Posts
Mine is across between Loggy's and Mossie's. I did not like the stiff leather. I took one like Mossy's to a leather shop. They made it from suede like leather and added one of those tab like snaps (like on some militiary gear). I added a piece of rawhide lace and tether it to the trigger guard on my Lyman GP, back where it is out of the way. Unsnaps silent, hangs from the T-gaurd and.......I frequently make donations of sporting equipment to the "God of the Woods" which requires long trips retracing my steps when I make these unsolicited donations (lose things)
that tether saves my sore feet after a long day!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use a Leatherman lock cover like Loggy's. Keep it soft with some neatsfoot oil that I used on my mitts back when I still played baseball. You're right Loggy, that's some old oil

A big improvement over the first lock cover that I improvised and made from what I had on hand in my truck one wet January day - a styrofoam coffee cup and some duct tape. Not pretty but did the job!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I uae the same!!--and when its really crappy out I put a QT sized zip lock bag cut at the bottom and slide over the lock cover and secure towards the muzzle with a rubber band.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
red oak said:
I use a Leatherman lock cover like Loggy's. Keep it soft with some neatsfoot oil that I used on my mitts back when I still played baseball. You're right Loggy, that's some old oil

LOL Red Oak!! Seeing you trampin through that Assateague VA swamp jungle chasin those elusive Siki's last winter convinced me you ain't that old...least physically that is!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts