The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the screw that goes through the sear striped out i can retap it but then i have to drill the sear out a little bit any ideas or just order a new one its a dixie mountain lock in left hand then only want $13.00 for a new one but they dont show the screw

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Not clear from your post, which stripped, the screw or the hole? Dixie Mtn locks have relatively soft screws. My 2010 cat shows the mtn rifle sear screw is $3.50 (Are they out) Page 112 Part No. SP3809. Same for right of left hand locks. It shouldn't be that hard to make a replacement, unless the threads are odd. Who knows what threads they have, metric, probably, but coming from Japan, it may be an odd thread. On the lock plate, sometimes it is possible to use a blunt drift punch on the out side surface and with the stipped lock lieing perfectly flat on anvil type surface, carefully peen the metal around the hole so that the hole is slightly mashed smaller. It can easily give you enough metal to re-thread and have the screw threads catch. With a blunt drift punch, 1/4 or 3/16, it should only take a couple of hits. If it doesn't work, you can weld and re-drill.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i called my flintlock shop he siad it either a #6 or 8 screw going over tonite and we fix it i hope because the next 2 weekends have shoots going on

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went great his going to retap it in the morning said we can use a little bigger screw so he going to work on it in morning and we shootin tomorrow nite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts