The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had any luck with locator calls? I can personally say I have never gotten a gobble from one.

Owl hoot: I was at a spot owl hooting right at dark. Nothing. Next morning two gobblers were gobbling from the roost about 80 yards away. This has happened to me many times.

Crow call: I have walked many miles with the crow call and never once have I gotten a gobble. Switch to a loud high pitched mouth call and bam it works. I see two gobblers while scouting and let them pass. When they are about 100 yards away I pull out the crow call and try it. Nothing! Same with the woodpecker call.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
413 Posts
i don't know what you might be doing wrong, but i have had very little luck with the owl hoot, unless i'm right on top of them in the roost. however, i get gobbles to the crow call all the time. i don't blow it like i'm calling crows though, i just blast it as obnoxiously as i can. they don't actually gobble at the crow, they gobble from being startled by the sudden sound.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i too have great success with my crow call...

and like was said, im not callin crows..im shockin turkeys..

CAW CAW CAW CAW fast and loud or CAWWWW CAW CAWWWW blown hard and loud are my 2 calls i use..

i think that is why a lot of guys dont have success with the crow call...i blow mine pretty ridiculously...ive watched others try and they just casually blow them..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts