The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a question. my grand father was a big gun collecter in the montgomery county area until he got terminaly (spell?) ill. we had to sell all his guns to pay the medical bills. ive recently found his logs of all the guns he bought with their serial numbers. is there anyway to track down who owns the guns by the serial #? im now in the position to possibly buy back some of the guns that i used when i was younger.

thanks alot

·
Registered
391 Posts
The answer is yes and it could become a life long hobby for you. The way it would be done is , each time you come across a gun like one of the ones owned by your grandfather, check its serial number against the list. I know this isn't what your wanting to here, but most gun owners have a distain for gun registration (someone finding their guns by looking up the serial number) but we are forced to put up with the government agencies doing it to some extent. People who own guns are protective of the serial numbers on them because for example, someone could report a gun stolen having xx1234 as a serial number, even if they don't own it, in an attempt to acquire it. You could post requests for guns of certain types and serial numbers and ask those interested in selling them to responds. It might work? I am not being flippant about the search for the guns, you could find some that way. I also understand the sentiment in wanting to reaquire some of those guns. I inherited some of my father's prize pocessions. It is difficult to part with them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If the guns were sold privately there is no record of those numbers. It will be an almost ipossible task to locate the firearms. Perhaps advertise in the paper you are looking for the people who purchased guns from the estate of your grandfather. Good luck, you have a long row to hoe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts