The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple topics posted are bringing up an interesting question and I know one of the guys on here will be able to cite the exact law.

When is technology legal to use in order to locate in real time or call out location of game, if ever?
Technology in this example will include:
texts (hey <blank>, deer coming)
cellphones (hey <blank>, deer coming)
gps collars (hound is 100yds away and closing, get ready)
radio controlled cameras on balloons/mini remote planes (deer in this hollow, let's drive it quick)
wirelessly controlled game cams (deer at next stand, i'm moving)
handheld radios (deer coming your way.

I'm curious to the exact rule. I think it will answer a lot of questions being brought up in other forums.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Pretty much everything you have listed is not legal.

Add any sight that projects a beam for sighting (not a spotlight mounted on top of a rifle or scope for predators). Laser range finders do not provide a sight picture or aiming point - therefore legal.

Also add any device that uses electric / batteries to dispense or heat and or dispense scent.

These laws (not regulations) are designed to ensure our hunting is fair chase.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Before the bickering begins - this is law. Therefore not up to the GC to change it.

A change in law starts in the PA House or Senate, requires both houses pass it three times, and for the new law to be signed by the Gov.

Just a FYI.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Electronic Devices: It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance
or device except: 1) Electronic callers may be used to hunt bobcats,
coyotes, foxes, raccoons, crows, and snow geese in the conservation hunt
season. 2) Lighted pins on bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may
be used as long as they don’t cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope
on any fi rearm, bow or crossbow that projects a light beam of any kind onto
the target is unlawful. 3) Portable, two-way radios and cell phones may be
used for general communications with another hunter, but may not be used
to direct or alert another hunter of the presence or location of live game or
wildlife. The use of electronic communication devices to alert hunters to
live game is not only a violation of the Game & Wildlife Code, but violates
the concept of Fair Chase. The use of portable radios does not satisfy the
legal requirement of accompanying a junior hunter. The accompanying
adult must be close enough to give verbal instructions without the aid of
an electronic device. 4) Electronic sound amplifi cation devices that are
incorporated into hearing protection devices and completely contained in
or on the hunter’s ear may be used to hunt or take wildlife. The following
devices may now be used to hunt or take wildlife: Any manually operated
fi rearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the primer or main
powder charge of the ammunition, unless such fi rearms are a specifi cally
prohibited device. Electronic illuminating devices that are affi xed at the
aft end of a bolt or arrow and used solely for the purpose of locating or
tracking bolt or arrow fl ight after being launched from a crossbow or bow.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Also add trail cameras that email pictures to your cell phone while you are hunting.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, that is what I thought. hopefully the right guys come down here and check it out

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
So is it legal to use gps tracking collars on hounds when they are pursuing game?

·
Banned
152 Posts
the way the law states it is no, i just talked to my grampa (retired WCO) he said absolutly not, that is an electronic means that is aiding in the pursuit and harvest of wildlife!

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
anobody said:
the way the law states it is no, i just talked to my grampa (retired WCO) he said absolutly not, that is an electronic means that is aiding in the pursuit and harvest of wildlife!
That is what I have always thought but I am not a hound guy and know little about it. I do know that gps tracking devices are widely used though so I wonder if there is specific language that allows them?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the big question is, where does the line get drawn.......

you can argue, the collar locates the dog, not the game.

then you could argue that we all know the gps isn't "JUST" used at the end of the day to find the dog.

I'd love some PGC input on this and will be sending it out to them for clarification and action, one way or another.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If the gps is used to locate a dog when you want it back and not to track the dog while it is chasing it is legal because you aren't using it to hunt, just find the dog, if it is part of the hunt, it is illegal. The line between hunting and locating a dog really is not that fine and anyone with average intelligence should be able to figure it out. If not I suppose they can argue it in court if they happen to get caught using a gps to hunt.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
The couple folks that I know that run hounds in these coyote hunts all use gps during the active part of the hunt. At least that is what they tell me. The devices are emitting signals during them actual hunt.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Yes, the GPS tracking devices are legal. Regulation passed a few years ago on that.

Title 58

§ 141.18. Permitted devices.
The following devices may be used to hunt or take wildlife:

(1) Any manually operated firearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the primer or main powder charge of the ammunition unless those firearms are a specifically prohibited device.

(2) Electronic sound amplification devices that are incorporated into hearing protection devices and completely contained in or on the hunter’s ear.

(3) Electronic devices used for locating dogs while training or hunting, including devices such as e-collars, radio-telemetry dog tracking systems and beeper collars.

(4) Electronic illuminating devices that are affixed at the aft end of a bolt or arrow and used solely for the purpose of locating or tracking bolt or arrow flight after being launched from a crossbow or bow.

(5) Electronic crow decoys used solely for harvesting crows.

Authority

The provisions of this § 141.18 amended under sections 322(c)(5) and 2102(a), (b)(1) and (d) of the Game and Wildlife Code (34 Pa.C.S. § § 322(c)(5) and 2102(a), (b)(1) and (d)).

Source

The provisions of this § 141.18 amended March 9, 2001, effective March 10, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 1370; amended May 18, 2001, effective May 19, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 2577; amended January 14, 2005, effective January 15, 2005, 35 Pa.B. 353; amended June 30, 2006, effective July 1, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 3250; amended October 5, 2007, effective October 6, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 5377; amended November 16, 2012, effective November 17, 2012, 42 Pa.B. 7108. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (363051).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter141/chap141toc.html

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Well there you have it. "While hunting" Is that interpreted as being only legal to use while hunting to find your dogs as John said, similar to two ways radios are legal for communications.

It would seem that the regulations that do not allow electronic devices that alert hunters to the presence of game would still apply if a hound hunter has a gps unit active and emitting a signal when a animal is bayed or on the run. If the hounds are talking the unit would have to off, in other words.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Makes you wonder how the old timers ever killed anything in front of a hound. Now you can drive around at daylight and check your trail cameras to see when a coyote was at your bait pile and then let the dogs go. Once they run out of hearing you locate them with the gps collar and then drive around in a long line of trucks to intercept them when they cross a road.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
John S said:
If the gps is used to locate a dog when you want it back and not to track the dog while it is chasing it is legal because you aren't using it to hunt, just find the dog, if it is part of the hunt, it is illegal. The line between hunting and locating a dog really is not that fine and anyone with average intelligence should be able to figure it out. If not I suppose they can argue it in court if they happen to get caught using a gps to hunt.
Thank You for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Smtn10pt said:
Makes you wonder how the old timers ever killed anything in front of a hound. Now you can drive around at daylight and check your trail cameras to see when a coyote was at your bait pile and then let the dogs go. Once they run out of hearing you locate them with the gps collar and then drive around in a long line of trucks to intercept them when they cross a road.
When we ran fox as a kid sometimes it was days before you got your hounds back. No GPS back then.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
dpms said:
Well there you have it. "While hunting" Is that interpreted as being only legal to use while hunting to find your dogs as John said, similar to two ways radios are legal for communications.

It would seem that the regulations that do not allow electronic devices that alert hunters to the presence of game would still apply if a hound hunter has a gps unit active and emitting a signal when a animal is bayed or on the run. If the hounds are talking the unit would have to off, in other words.
You cannot use a vehicle to locate game so it would only be legal to locate your hounds.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
no matter what the law states , i'm still not really sure after reading the response from john , i would doubt any judge would find anyone guilty for locating game that uses the gps system . if all i'm running is dogs with the collar how can one prove that the collar was used to locate game ? . the collars are only on dogs not the animal the dog is chasing .

1 - 20 of 107 Posts