The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a little farming comunity. Legend has it that there was once a witch here back in the early 1900's.

The community knew she was a witch and some guys went to get her. They tied her to a chair in the house and then burned it to the ground. When the house was literally burnt to the ground they saw the chair unburned with nobody in it.

The property was finally sold about 40 years ago and as soon as the house went up it myseriously burnt down.

Some people dont believe it but I guess I have to have somethings to believe to keep me occupied.

Just though Id share.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Oh, ok. The southern section has a lot of legends like that of the gerhardt family massacre and Matthias Shambacker (america's first documented serial killer who supposedly haunts the area).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
There are ghost stories of Bucks, Berks counties. I'm not sure if there is a Schuylkill County edition. I know that the Berks County edition has some information on Mattias Shambacker. He was an actual, confirmed serial killer on Hawk Mountain (berks/schulykill border).

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
huntin_buck said:
I dont think there is a book about the Schuylkill County ghosts but there are alot of stories

Read "Fireside tails" part one through six. Between the six books the author covers every well known ghost story, myth and legend in PA. Jeffery Frazier is the author.

·
Registered
140 Posts
huntin_buck said:
Ringtown which is almost exactly in the northernmost tip of Sch. County.
Was born in ringtown and lived there until i was 9, will ask my parents sometime if they ever heard about it..

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sounds like a PA Dutch faith healer to me. One owned my dad's house before he bought it. Everytime we tore down a wall we would find inscriptions and signs of the cross. Oh yea then it would get weird for a couple of months. Stuff would move, knocking sounds, doors opening, etc. Still places in his house I am not comfortable hanging out in.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad's family owned some land near Fredericksville in Berks County. (About two miles SW.) One adjoining property contained an old delapidated house that had belonged to a "pow wow" doctor (faith healer) There were crosses and all manor of odd inscriptions carved into the bark of the surrounding trees. That was back around 1959. I have no idea how long it had been since the "doctor" was there, but I sure saw the stuff on the trees.

In Northern Lebanon County, there was the "blue eyed six" group that killed a guy and were all hung. In York County there was "Rehmeyer's Hollow" and the Hex Trial. In Berks County there was the story of the gal that supposedly killed her baby, the governor issued a pardon and her brother rode from Hbg to Reading, but got there shortly after she was hung. In Eastern Berks county there was some story about "die Blau Licht" (the blue light) that killed people. (Some older folks got a little wierd when K-Mart started the "blue light" thing.)

There is a legend about an evil box that was supposed to be thrown in the Schuykill River near Reading and the guy peeked inside and something dreadful happened to him.

Some where up on SGL 211, there was allegedly a village that was massacred by Indians in the early 1700's. The Hochstetter massacre near Strausstown in Berks County around 1755. Girty's Notch along the Susq, North of Harrisburg where River Pirates killed settlers coming down river from Williamsport. The story of the gold mine on SGL 211. There was supposedly a working gold mine in So York County in the mid 1700's. The story of the treasure/bank robbery loot buried along cuffs run in York County. The hermit/constable that lived in a cave between Hummelstown and Hershey back around 1900. The cave was said to be in the quarry that was filled in to make the 422-322 cloverleaf. There's a story of a hermit that lived near Conrad's in SE York County who would go down into a cave near the current Girl Scout camp for weeks at a time, some said he could come up on the other side of the SUSq river before the Safe Harbor dam was put in. I saw a newspaper clipping from the mid 1930's of a hunter that found a woman's arm down near Castle Finn in York County, a no woman was known to be missing. No one ever figured out who lost the arm. Back around 1964 or 1965, a deputy WCo in Lebanon county found a dead woman who has never been identified.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
There's a story of a hermit that lived near Conrad's in SE York County who would go down into a cave near the current Girl Scout camp for weeks at a time, some said he could come up on the other side of the SUSq river before the Safe Harbor dam was put in.
My grandma used to say that there was a tunnel that ran under the river that was used in the Under Ground Railroad. She claimed that the slaves would use it to cross the river. I thought she said that it was near Holtwood, but I could be wrong. Could this be the same tunnel you were talking about?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I heard that legend too, my family is from the Brandonville area, outside Ringtown and my uncle told us this story too, I forget where the house was exactly. He also told us of an old widow who lived on the old Dirt road that crosses from Pumping station over RT924(I think that's Dombrowski Lane now) My uncle told us every time that old widow was going out to pick up a young boy for entertainment (wink wink) she would play her electronic organ and sing so loud the whole valley knew she was going out to get some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts