The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy mine is telling me that he heard from an LEO that this is illegal, anyone here of this?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Timber, thats the way I know it to be.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I believe loaning for the purposes of hunting is legal.

·
Registered
25,007 Posts
"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

One really has to pay attention to the definition of <span style="font-weight: bold">firearm </span> when reading these statutes. The definitions change at times.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Loaning a gun out

I was wondering about that myself, a friend on mine at our Sportsman's club ask me if it was ok for him to carry his son`s 9mm, both he and his son has a LTC permit, the gun is registered in his son`s name.

So I guess my question is ..Can you borrow and carry a concealed weapon that is registered in another person's name, if you also have a LTC permit.

I told him I didn`t know for sure but I would ask my friends on the HPA site and get back to him, thanks in advance...

·
Registered
843 Posts

SlickShot said:
I was wondering about that myself, a friend on mine at our Sportsman's club ask me if it was ok for him to carry his son`s 9mm, both he and his son has a LTC permit, the gun is registered in his son`s name.

So I guess my question is ..Can you borrow and carry a concealed weapon that is registered in another person's name, if you also have a LTC permit.

I told him I didn`t know for sure but I would ask my friends on the HPA site and get back to him, thanks in advance...
Yes that is allowed immediate family can. Also you don't need to transfer if one wants to give the gun to the other is what I was told with the last pistol me and my wife bought.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

SlickShot said:

"Registered"? How is it "registered"? Not one of the firearms I have is registered.

·
Registered
538 Posts

First, never get legal advice from a message board. But the previous posts are accurate. One key factor is if it's a long gun vs. a pistol and if it's involving family members.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

big cat said:
SlickShot said:

Yes that is allowed immediate family can. Also you don't need to transfer if one wants to give the gun to the other is what I was told with the last pistol me and my wife bought.
So long as both have LTCF doesn't matter if they're family or not iirc.

·
Registered
614 Posts

jimsdad said:
SlickShot said:

"Registered"? How is it "registered"? Not one of the firearms I have is registered.
And neither are any of mine,Just because you had to get a background check does not mean your gun is registered. However Pa. state police do keep a data base of serial numbers of handguns purchased by buyers in Pa. I believe the practice is illegal according to the way the law is written, but a Judge somewhere legislated from the bench and gave them permission to to maintain the data.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts

I never let anyone barrow my guns. I did in the past and they have been returned abused. Rusted etc. I had to ask for them back. I will allow them to use it if I'm there and we are hunting predators. I know this is about the legality of lending a gun but there are other things to consider. Your lucky if you have acquaintances that respect your guns. I have had relatives ask to barrow guns for their neighbors to use. The answer No!

·
Registered
25,769 Posts

ACSL filed suit years ago, over PSP's practice of retaining records of handgun purchases being a violation of PA statutes. The PA Supreme Court ruled the practice was legal, despite that practice being prohibited by law.

Up until the latest news on Hildebeast skating on criminal charges, I had considered that PA decision to be the most bizarre legal decision in history.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts