The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a traditions 50 cal inline. I have a very hard time loading sabots in it. Is there any easy way to do this? I have 3 brands for 50 cal and 429 (44 cal Bullets) and all 3 are very hard to push down the barrel.

Thanks, Stan

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after a week of fustration I tried round balls, I was told by traditions they will not shoot good but I needed something I could load. With 90 gr of 3f, winchester 209 primer, .020 oxyoke patch and a .495 rb I can touch holes at 55 yards, Only took 50+ shots but I am very Happy now.
Happy Hunting, Stan

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
If your gun shoots PRB, then you may want to think of shooting the Hornady Pa. Conical. Here is the Link to the Conical sold at Midway. I've been shooting these from my M\L for the past 3 years using 90gr of FF, a T\C bore button (pre-lubed, no additional lube necessary) and then just slide the conical down the tube.

Easy to load, and these weigh 240gr. which is a bit more than the 180gr. that a round ball weighs. I can hear 'em smack the deer and I've not lost one yet. Accuracy is just as good or better than a PRB and much easier to load as you don't have that darn patch to deal with.

FWIW

SW

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can try a bunch of different sabot and bullet combinations, and you might get lucky and find one that loads easy. But you may not. I had an Omega that was the same way. The rifle was unbelievably accurate(part of being a tight barrel). But you could only get one shot down the barrel-PERIOD. You could not load a second shot without cleaning the barrel. I tried over a dozen different combos with this rifle. All shot well, but only one shot.

You need to determine whether you can live with that or not. Tom.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My Omega is very accurate also but I can get more then 1 shot loaded. It likes the old PTX bullets best but they are out of production for years..

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I shoot sabot's out of my cabelas hawken rifle. I shoot basically the same thing the OP was trying. With pistol bullets there is no need for any special tip on the ram rod. With a clean barrel they load almost effortless. I have to put a little pressure on it to get the next couple down intil I get to around shot 5 or 6. I could get around 12 shots off before it would fail to fire due to being completely fouled.

Don't think I would would want a gun that must be cleaned between every shot. With a speed load I can reload in about 10 seconds or less. I don't want to have to clean the barrel between shots. My gun is fairly easy to load on the second shot, and shoots to point of aim.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Another thing to check is to make certain that you are using the correct sabot and bullet combination. There are 50 cal sabots that shoot a 44 cal bullet and others that shoot a 45 cal bullet. You can't use a 45 bullet in a sabot designed to use a 44 cal bullet.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
PA-Joe said:
Another thing to check is to make certain that you are using the correct sabot and bullet combination. There are 50 cal sabots that shoot a 44 cal bullet and others that shoot a 45 cal bullet. You can't use a 45 bullet in a sabot designed to use a 44 cal bullet.
good point. The only thing I can say about that though is that he said he was using 44 cal bullets. I can only see that as a loading problem if he tried to use 45 cal bullets in sabots designed for 44 bullets.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas, I am happy with what is working, Its a traditions pursuit. I have the right bullets and sabots, evev with the gun apart i can barely get any combo of bullet and sabot down the barrel.

Thanks again, Stant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts