The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Traditions Deerhunter 54 Cal. percussion with a 24" 1:48 twist barrel. 230gr round ball and Shockey's Gold FFFG powder. The Traditions Owner's Manual,(link below), recommends 50-75gr of 3f powder but another chart recommends 100gr. I am just looking for a good starting point. This will be my first year hunting with a muzzleloader. http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/products/TRADITIONS%20SIDELOCK%20BOOK1.pdf

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am taking it to the range tomorrow. After getting it shooting good on a bench rest i'll do some offhand shooting both standing and sitting.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's what I have and I ain't spending another $30 for more powder. would magnum caps help with that?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Scrub the crud and packing grease out of the barrel 1st thing before you shoot it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured that out last year when I shot it the first time. I loaded it up put a cap on pulled the trigger and snap, that was it. Tried a few more yomes and the same thing. we took the bolster screw and nipple out and it was full of oil, we dried as much out as possible and tried it again and snap nothing else, tried 2 more times and just snap. I was about to give up and take it to the gunsmith to have the ball pulled when I figured I would try one more time. I put another cap on pulled the trigger and snap.BOOM, lol. I learned not to use too much oil on a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
309 Posts
snaring, Seeing that you are shooting a short barrel,(24"), I would recommend shooting a lite load, 85 grains Triple F, and a lite bullet. I don't shoot a .54 cal, I shoot a .50 cal, and shoot a .490 Hornaday round ball, with 80 grains of Triple Fg. You should always start lite, and progress in usually 5 grain increments. (MY OPINION)

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
snaring america said:
it's what I have and I ain't spending another $30 for more powder. would magnum caps help with that?
The Magnum #11`s may help. They are way more powerfull than the regular ones. I did a "pop" test and the #11`s weren`t that loud, but the Magnum #11`s made my ears ring!! This was on a side lock percussion gun.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how long of a pause is considered a "hang fire"? sometimes my fire is instant and other times there is a very slight pause of maybe 1/4 second.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the muzzleloader to the range yesterday and I was using 80 grains and I am happy with that. I adjusted the rear sight so I am shooting dead on bullseye at 50, then at 100 I had to file of a little bit to get into my 4" bullseye. I am only 3" high at 50 now but I am right on with windage.

The only problem I noticed is that after 2 or 3 shots the nipple plugs up and I have to clean it out. I decided it was best to clean it out after each and every shot to keep that from happening.

when I took it to the range on monday I loaded it and ti would not fire. I took out the bolster screw and no powder was in the bolster, it had some oil that must have run down the barrel, I cleaned out as much as possible. Tried firing it 3 more times with no luck. I took the bolster screw back out and put a very small amount of powder (maybe 1/2 to 1 grain worth) into the bolster and tried again and BOOM. So now I am keepng it in a hard case muzzle down when not in use.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Snaring,

Couple of things that may help with your fouling on the nipple and the issue of oil in the drum (bolster):

Do Not put powder in the drum. It is not designed to withstand the stresses of powder in there and actually should function better without powder in there

If the caps are leaving the spent fulminated mercury paper into the top of the nipple then your main spring may be a bit strong. Have a gunsmith adjust your spring tension if it is a solid spring or if it is an adjustable spring then just reduce the tension a quarter turn and see if that fixes the problem.

GBJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts