The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Model 7 and I really like it. This past season I used H414 and 120 gr Barnes TTSX's. It was fairly accurate. I would like to see if I can improve the accuracy and was wondering if anyone has a proven accurate load for me to try.

I really like the gun a lot. I put a Leupold Compact 3x9 on it and it is really handy. But, it is tough to leave my really accurate .270 at home. I keep thinking that it may cost me a deer some day.

Any recipes for me guys?

Thanks.

Ted

·
Registered
46 Posts
we are using nosler ballistic tips 140 grain, 44.5 grains of imr 4064 and cci 200 primers, very accurate in our model 7

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
bdawg said:
we are using nosler ballistic tips 140 grain, 44.5 grains of imr 4064 and cci 200 primers, very accurate in our model 7
A winner for sure..Accurate in mine too.

The Leupold 3X9 compact scope complements this rifle well.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
TedC54 said:
Gonna give it a try. Thanks.

Think it's okay to start at 44.5?

Officially....No, start a little lower and look for pressure signs.Work your way up from there.. Every gun is different.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
45.0gr Varget, 120 B-tip gm210m primer, no signs of pressure and very acurate.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have used a Model 7 since 1990. I setled on a load of 48 grains of WW 760 (this was a max published load then, I see it is over in my latest manuals), CCI standard primer with a Nosler 140 grain bullet. I used the Ballistic Tips for years. but recently switched to Accubonds.
I have had good groups with RL-15, IMR-4064, and Varget.

You'll find the 7mm-08 easy to load for. The only problem I had was with Hornady SST bullets. Thought I would use those because they are cheaper than Noslers, shot up a box of 100 and never got better than a 2" group.

Will

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the information.

Gonna start this week!

Good project for long cold winter nights!

·
Registered
427 Posts
120 Nosler BT
40.0 imr-4064
cci primer

Makes one hole in my son's Stevens M200 short action up to 200 yards. Also drops whitetails where they stand x2.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Ken said:
bdawg said:
A winner for sure..Accurate in mine too.

The Leupold 3X9 compact scope complements this rifle well.
This doggone load just does not seem to be accurate in my gun. I get two holes touching and third shot is about 2 to 3 inches away. This happens almost every time. The elevation is consistent, but one of the three shots is way left.

It don't think it is me. I can usually shoot a good group, and if I do something funky, it is never that bad.

Tonight, I had some loads for one of my other guns and got two groups of just over and inch. These were 120 grain Barnes TSX bullets and H414.

Any suggestions? Does anyone think going up or down a grain would help?

Thanks.

Ted

p.s. Could just use the load that works, but have lots of those BT's I would like to use.

p.s.s. I love the gun, great gun. Can't imagine a better PA deer rifle.

·
Banned
751 Posts
I SECOND THAT SSTS DID NOT SHOOT FOR POOP OUT OF THE MODEL SEVEN I HAD IN 7MM-08, PARTITIONS SHOT INTO AN INCH AND A HALF WITH VARGET AND CCI 200 PRIMERS

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Ted, it's that first shot that counts. Your problem could be a warm barrel, dirty barrel, stock binding somewhere, even too clean a barrel in some cases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is the barrell free floated? Take a dollar bill and try to insert it between the barrell and the stock, on the typical Remington, there is a pressure point 2-3 inches from the end of the barrell, u can remove it or have a gunsmith remove it. It will then allow the barrell to resonate the same consistently, and should improve ur groups.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts