The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Load development suggestions

Oldest son states he has aquired a new toy. A traditions ultralite muzzle loader? However neither one of us is knowledgeable in this area. Can any one supply us with a base load to begin with, or do u have a formula for a tack driver? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Load development suggestions

Most in-lines are made these days to shoot 150gr of powder and a 250 gr bullet, My Knight shoots that combo well, but i wsnted to play with my loads as well. Afer much time on the range i have found that it likes 130 grs of powder and the 250 gr bullet. have fun finding what your muzzleloader likes is half the fun...

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Re: Load development suggestions

As Knight has said, you need to work with the powder charge and the bullet grains and see which shoots the better!

I have the Traditions Flinter and it prefers 80 grains of 3 F pushing a 300 grain maxi hunter...
My CVA Inline prefers 100 grains of either pyrodex pellets, loose pyrodex powder or 3 F black powder pushing a 295 grain Powderbelt Arotip!

That took some time to come up with those powder charges and bullet weights..it wasn't just a few shots and I came to understand they were the loads to use!

Take it to the Range and work on different loads of powder and bullets and see which work the best for you!

1 thing though, Make SURE of what the rifle is capable of shooting... some inlines and flinters the manufacturer says to not shoot bullets over a certain grain and do not shoot powder charges of Black Powder over a certain charge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts