The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always here of people living on state/national forest land in tents,tipees,etc.Is it really legal?Do they still pay taxes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think they have to get a permit that only lasts for two weeks. Can't see any reason why they couldn't move to another state forest after that. I am sure the DNR could answer your questions.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I never heard about this in PA. Pretty sure it wouldnt happen here but Ive been wrong one other time,lol

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Our "Big Woods" aren't that big. If you are living out there, DCNR people or WCOs from the PGC or PFBC will soon know, and will put a stop to it.

Some people who live and/or work in those areas are very observant. They don't miss much.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Kurt14 said:
I always here of people living on state/national forest land in tents,tipees,etc.Is it really legal?Do they still pay taxes?
Any factual replies?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Kurt14 said:
Pay tax on whut??

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I know of two situations where people were living on small pieces of scrap woods back when I was growing up in Delaware County. The one guy got arrested because he tried to rape someone.

The other one was living in a homemade shack in woods that had a creek on one side and a highway on the other. I used to walk the woods in search of antler sheds and I came upon his shack. It was an eerie feeling because there was a clothes line with clothes on it, a fire smoldering and other belongings around including a pot with water in it. There were also tons of empty shotshells around. It was apparent someone was living there and this was within 10 miles of Philadelphia. I got out of there and stayed away because I felt like I was being watched and it might have been a nut.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I think you could get away with it for a good while if you kept a low profile. Remember the Olympic bomber who lived for years on the national forest land in North Carolina. He was out there for several years despite the FBI searching for him.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Big tent set up out on Michaux a few years back. Not just hikers passing through. Had a 'permanent' dwelling set up there just off the AT. Yep, agree with the eerie feeling when you come upon that kind of thing.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
There are quite a few homeless people. And that's what we're talking about here. They aren't doing some kind of adventure project. They've got no place to hang their hat, no housing, so they're outdoors, trying to survive.

There was a guy sleeping in a little tent along Spring Creek in Bellefonte. A lot of people knew him and knew he was out there. We had a cold snap this past winter and he was found dead in his tent. Died of exposure according to the authorities.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
The factory my wife works at backs up to RR tracks and lots of woods, they arrested a guy who they caught stealing sheet metal from the back of the factory. Turns out he was using it to build a roof for his shanty in the woods, which a few of the factory guys went to w/the police to ID their sheet metal- they said the guy even had the area @ his shack landscaped w/shrubs and flower pots. Good for him, too bad he got into the stealing part.... He also picked a bad spot in the vicinity of 3 prisons where they have jailbreaks once or twice a year and police on 4-wheelers w/full-auto weapons driving up & down the tracks looking.

BH

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
troutbert said:
There are quite a few homeless people. And that's what we're talking about here. They aren't doing some kind of adventure project. They've got no place to hang their hat, no housing, so they're outdoors, trying to survive.

There was a guy sleeping in a little tent along Spring Creek in Bellefonte. A lot of people knew him and knew he was out there. We had a cold snap this past winter and he was found dead in his tent. Died of exposure according to the authorities.
exposure to booze and drugs most likely

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I've walked into what I think was a permanet site as well. It was somewhere between Williamsport and Mansfield, I was going on one of my fishing adventures in my college days. Sure wish I could remember the creek we were fishing?

Anyway, we had to cross an old railroad track that connected two very steep valleys. I'd say it was a good 40 yards long. Once we got to the other side we found a camp site, fire smoldering, clothes on lines, old rusted out hubcaps, pieces of metal, poles, plywood, tarps, etc that this guy/gal fashioned into a shelter. There were also a bunch of dead animals (small game) hanging in the trees. (I'm assuming dinner/lunch / keeping it away from scavengers).

Needless to say we got the heck out of there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts