·
Registered
18,300 Posts
6 deer, no bear, no hunters.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
all that sign you have, bear on camera, not one came around to say hello. its like they were warned not to come back. :)

best of luck next time.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
Probably have the place to yourself tomorrow, that should help. Keep the updates coming, it's very enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Probably have the place to yourself tomorrow, that should help. Keep the updates coming, it's very enjoyable.
Spent a lot of hours there today. After driving hundreds of miles over the past few months, spending countless hours in the woods, gathering hours of intel via trai cams, and prepping 5 different stand sites... I'm a MORON!!!! I spent exactly 12 hours in the stand yesterday. I saw 1 doe, and 1 fisher, until 6:30 pm when my bear finally showed up and I somehow blew the shot. At a distance of 20 yards I somehow managed to hit him high in the shoulder. I left the area once it got dark and after a sleepless night took up the search this morning. It was bad immedietly. My busted arrow was found at the point of impact and I only got 3" of penetration. After taking the pathetic blood trail one drop at a time for over 100 yards it finally petered out. I'm sure the bear will survive because there's no vitals behind the top of the shoulder but I'm sure he's not feeling too hot right now. I'm completely sick. I have no idea what happened and have been through all of the "what ifs" and "should've, could've, would'ves, but the bottom line is it was 100% operator error. I was confident with the shot and would take it again. I'm dumbfounded. It's been 28 years since I've lost an animal and this is the first ever with a crossbow. I've pulled the plug on the bear season. I'm done! That was my bear and I blew it. Even going to be hard to get into chasing deer at this point.

I want to extend a HUGE thank you to RegularJoe. He ain't no regular Joe. He's the person that turned me onto this particular piece of public property, gave me his thoughts and opinions about it, and then turned me loose. He's become a great friend and he and his entire family (wife & boys) helped me with the search today. They're all good people. My bear season is over but I've left my stands in place for RegularJoe to take over. Pulling for him to bust that big boy that's in the area. Go get'em, Joe. I'm forever in your debt and beyond sick about the way this turned out.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Chin up T. Get back in that stand for deer.

Coulda been worse. A high shoulder shot won't hurt that bear. Better than a bad gut shot that you then can't find.

No one is perfect. We strive to be with our broadheads.

I could not do what you did, put yourself into a shot on a bear. Would not know how to begin. So you got smarts, skills, and some blessings to have that chance.

And kicking yourself now shows you care. Yep, it sux, but part of the journey.

Makes those successes even that much sweeter, because it's that hard.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
TBrom,

It happens. Put it behind you. I disagree with your decision to quit on the bear, I think you should continue to hunt him in the hope that you might get another crack at him. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Sorry To hear about the bear Tbrom, it's never a great feelings when you make a bad hit.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
TBrom,

It happens. Put it behind you. I disagree with your decision to quit on the bear, I think you should continue to hunt him in the hope that you might get another crack at him. Stranger things have happened.
Agree 100% with loridr! I understand where you are coming from also, as I too have considered a tag filled when I have put a shot on a deer that I knew was fatal or was going to ultimately be fatal but was unable to recover it.... BUT as you said yourself, that bear will most likely be fine, its not like you blew a bolt through its guts. Also if that stand was in that bear's home turf you very well may get a crack at it again. At very least go out and sit in a stand. If you see a bear and it feels right, take a shot, if not dont. Dont close your season based on the sick feeling you have right now!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Last time I lost a buck I concidered giving up bowhunting forever.

Yes, i know it's that heartbreaking.
I know exactly what you mean, 2 years ago put what I thought was a perfect arrow in a doe, had good blood for 100-150 yards then dried up, never found her. Went out the next day and made a horrible shot on a buck, I was about to give up and be done but I kept sticking with it and was able to put another arrow in him about a mile from the original shot. Keep grinding Tbrom

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

I want to extend a HUGE thank you to RegularJoe. He ain't no regular Joe. He's the person that turned me onto this particular piece of public property, gave me his thoughts and opinions about it, and then turned me loose. He's become a great friend and he and his entire family (wife & boys) helped me with the search today. They're all good people. My bear season is over but I've left my stands in place for RegularJoe to take over. Pulling for him to bust that big boy that's in the area. Go get'em, Joe. I'm forever in your debt and beyond sick about the way this turned out.
I tried every one liner I knew to cheer you up, I'm no head shrinker, and I have walked a trail or two in them very boots myself, it's no picnic. I would have grid searched with you all day but the broken arrow was the smoking gun as it were but I bet we have not seen the last of that bear, I think he is the one I had on camera early spring looking like he was half starved. I'm gonna give it a good effort this week and the rest of archery. If I get him I'll frame your broadhead.

As I have said many times, you owe me nothing, it has been a pleasure to talk with you and bounce ideas and stories back and forth. I really think you ought to come back up for a few more afternoon sits yet this year as others have said. Your ethics are admirable, but the fact remains there are still bears to be killed, and between us we still have no dirty knives. Lick your wounds, come back fighting, your call.

·
Banned
4,586 Posts
That sux
Happens to the best
My brother hit a bear last year the first day of deer firearms at 8am
He said he knocked it down we had decent blood for 50 or so yards then it went to specks of blood to nothing we searched 830 am till 5 pm
And a shot at a bear for us is a once in a lifetime moment but were out yesterday with the inlines hoping to get a sighting

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dang knowing that feeling it is tough but does happen. There is sone comfort I believe in knowing that a wayward shot isn't likely to be fatal.

Impressive how effectively you were able to pattern bear, I've never really figured them out (or tried to).

I would prescribe one treatment of whackadoeinthelungs. Has a way of getting the confidence back to where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
24,278 Posts
So sorry to read report Todd. Been there before so share your feelings. Anyone that spends enough time hunting chances are similar unfortunate experiences will happen. An unfortunate part of our wonderful sport but nevertheless still a part.

I'm still haunted from one myself happening about 5 years ago spring gobbler hunting. I hunted hard all that week & no luck. One morning I worked a stubborn longbeard for over an hour when all of a sudden out of nowhere one of the most magnificent gobblers appeared offering me a "piece of cake" chipshot for my well patterned Browning Gold!! I squeezed off & he started flopping and I quickly lost sight in the thicket. Feeling like a million bucks I walked to the area & only found feathers & couple drops of blood. I spent hours combing the whole side of the mountain & NOTHING!! I have since went through in my mind what I did wrong many times & apparently I rushed & pulled the shot with guns tight pattern fringes only grazing him..... "operator error" like you said!!:) I felt sick & went back to camp and cancelled next planned hunting day & went home. Really didn't want to talk to anyone about it for several days. For some reason this experience bothered me more than any other my 50 years of hunting...not sure why guess I was so confident in having it in the bag. Oh well, have had many wonderful experiences since then that put this in my rear view mirror but I'd be lying that it's still not there least a lil bit!:)

Keep the faith Todd & get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
i have never lost a bear in Pennsylvania....i have also never shot at a bear in Pennsylvania :)

Tbrom, it happens, it happens to all of us. if someone says it didnt, then they simply havent been hunting long enough. like elk yinzer said, go back out and get a deer, then go back for bear. your confidence will be restored. Best of Luck !

21 - 38 of 38 Posts