The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Wee Man out to the range yesterday to get some shooting in. He did great.

Stevens .22 topped with his great grandfather's scope....

Posing with the 25 yard results. The squirrels are in big trouble this year.......

Here he is taking a few shots with his great grandfathers 340 Savage in .222. He really liked this rifle and shot it pretty well.....

He's pretty excited to get out hunting again this year.

·
Registered
24,830 Posts
We had a little trigger time yesterday as well...Granddaughter came up, (her first trip driving up from Md. alone) 22 mag ( her favorite); 223; .38 revolver and her first time shooting .40 pistol (didn't like this one)

Fishing on the agenda today

·
Registered
20,890 Posts
Let him burn through a pile of .222 ammo.My kids go through about 400-500 rounds of .223 every year.It helps them get used to the muzzle blast without having to worry about recoil.My nine year old dusted his fourth woodchuck last night over 170 yards.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to pick up a couple boxes. I only had 2 magazines worth of ammo. My uncle had mounted that scope on it but I notice its canted and its also shooting about 2" high and 3" left. I'm going to get the scope straightened out and rezeroed here in the near future. He wants to chuck hunt but I really don't have any place to take him. All my old haunts are either developed or under new ownership and are posted now.

·
Registered
20,890 Posts
It would be a good excuse to start reloading.Doing it with your kid is fun and they get a better understanding of how it all works.I started my son with a rimfire and then a .223 and .243 when he turned seven.He just turned 9 last week and he's been shooting the Kimber Montanna in .308 that I bought for him the day after he was born.I didn't think he'd be able to handle it but he's doing way better than I expected.They grow fast,that's for sure.

Most of my old woodchuck spots have dried up as well.I never see anyone hunting there so I don't know if it's coyotes or what.I keep my one field mowed and there's several holes on the neighbors property where they come from.We have a good vantage point next to my driveway and every day a couple show themselves.The shots range from 170-190 yards which I figured was too far for me but he's killed everyone he's shot at so far.It's an awesome journey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts