The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knight50cal and I went to the sportsmens club this afternoon to shoot our inlines...

We ended up getting rained on and he did not want to shoot but I decided I'd atleast run a few shots thru and make sure things were ok for the season and then next time out we would work on his inline...

Well, something has happened to my scope... Eratic shots.. only took 3...then Knight50cal decides for me to try a 4th shot with a 45 cal bullet in 1 of those 50 cal plastic sleeves...

I loaded 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and went to start that sabbot (If that is what it was, he will have to say what kind it was)
Any how, it got stuck right inside the lip of the barrel....we tried pulling it out with a puller but could not get it to pull....so here I am with a 100 grains down the barrel and a bullet stuck at the end of the barrel...

So, we decided to use his range rod and ram it down....we got it half way and it eased up and went SMOOTHLY to the bottom....

We pulled the Breech Plug and rammed it the rest of the way out... I did not feel comforatble to shoot it from how it went in!

What do some of you guys who been shooting for awhile think might have been the problem?

And

Do you think it would have been safe to shoot it?

We decided afterwards that we did things right and pulled the breech plug and shoved everything out the other end...Better to be safe then sorry!

Now, I have to clean up everything for things got wet...we are gonna try again wednesday or thursday if it is not raining and get my scope fixed on alignment and his shot in aswell!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It may have been a dirty barrel or the sabbot may have been a little crooked when you started ramming it down the barrel. I only use the powerbelts to avoid trusting a piece of plastic to do the job of metal on metal. After three shots I wouldn't think that the gun would be that fouled but it may have happened. Try the powrbelt's you'll love them!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the Powerbelts....was shooting 295 grain hollow points today...I think that may have been my problem and not the scope, I have not had much luck with grouping with the hollow points in the past...now the aurotips, they pattern very good for me!
Have to pick up a pack of them before we head out later next week and see if they do any better before messing with the scope!

·
Premium Member
23,994 Posts
Did you recover any sabots?? What shape were they in??

If you were usung a non-stepped base (lesser base strength) sabot...its possible you were blowing them. I had it happen to me & you are lucky to hit the broad side of a barn door if a sabot lets go. 2 50 grain pyro pills are unlikely to blow a sabot though but if can recover..it tells the story. i was experimenting with some really hot loads when a few sabots let go.

Hard loading could be from crud build-up. What 209's you using?

best of luck!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we went and shot today....I got a packet of 245 grain aurotips......

Sunday I worked on my inline....I had been noticing that I was trying to push my head back away from the scope because the scope seemed to set to far back...I loosened things up and pushed it forward and retightened the screws....

Set down with 100 grains of pyrodex and those 245 grain bullets... first shot 3 inchs low.....did 6 clicks up and started dropping the shots right into the bullseye!

Then, after I fired 4 shots into the bullseye, I loaded up the hollow points and did 3 shots..they went all over the place!

What is it with the hollow points that they do not group out of my CVA??

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
could be a number of things. bullets not sealing the bore, non concentric base, mangled nose from loading, even out of balance bullets hard to say.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
i like the hornaday i think they are sst 245 or 250 i'd have to look been awhile since i used them but they were really accurate and deadly

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
They both shoot the same for me. It may just be a dirty barrel. All the aero tips are is a hollow point with a piece of plastic in the end.
Woodywoodduck said:
Well, we went and shot today....I got a packet of 245 grain aurotips......

Sunday I worked on my inline....I had been noticing that I was trying to push my head back away from the scope because the scope seemed to set to far back...I loosened things up and pushed it forward and retightened the screws....

Set down with 100 grains of pyrodex and those 245 grain bullets... first shot 3 inchs low.....did 6 clicks up and started dropping the shots right into the bullseye!

Then, after I fired 4 shots into the bullseye, I loaded up the hollow points and did 3 shots..they went all over the place!

What is it with the hollow points that they do not group out of my CVA??

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
duckman76 said:
They both shoot the same for me. It may just be a dirty barrel. All the aero tips are is a hollow point with a piece of plastic in the end
Might be the only differance between them, but it sure does seem to make a world of differance.....it doesn't matter if I have a dirty barrel or a fresh clean 1, I can not get the hollow points to shot groups...

I have another buddy who has the exact same CVA as mine, His is the same way, he can not get groups with the hollow points but put the auro tips in and he can punch holes on top of holes!

And his also does not like the 45 cal sabbots with those plastic inserts, they hang up about 6 inchs down the barrel same as mine...we both are afraid to shoot those sabbots out of our inlines!

Knight50cal uses those 45 cal sabbots, he had to do some adjusting today but finally got things nice and good...he was breaking holes ontop of holes and I swore he was missing a few shots till we walked to the target and looked at it and you could see were the 2 holes connected...he was doing that at 50 yards with Open Sites, he has no scope on his inline....Looks like he is going to give me a run for my money at the farm and make sure he gets the deer I been promising him!

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the hollow points, the areo tips are deadly on game. Every hog or deer i have shot with the hornadays has either dropped or dropped within 30 yds.

·
Premium Member
23,994 Posts
Woody...likely your gun is a 1-28 bbl. A 348 Powerbelt Aerotip will stabilize better than a shorter 245 grain in a fast twister. The 245 are good in slower...1-66, 1-48.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loggy said:
Woody...likely your gun is a 1-28 bbl. A 348 Powerbelt Aerotip will stabilize better than a shorter 245 grain in a fast twister. The 245 are good in slower...1-66, 1-48.
Per the Video and the Booklet my buddy and I have on our CVA inlines...it is STRONGLY Suggested to NOT shoot anything over 295 grains out of our CVA inlines!

I have a Traditions Flinter and shoot 350 grain maxi hunters out of it... I really wish from the pattern I've gotten out of the traditions Flinter that I could try and shoot those 350 grain maxi hunters out of the CVA Inline.... they have a SWEET Grouping at 100 yards with 70 grains of 3F shooting those 350 grains bullets!

·
Premium Member
23,994 Posts
frontier gander said:
wrong. CVA has a 400gr conical limit, 300gr is with sabots & with 150gr (pellet) loads.
Agree frontier gander. A 348 grain Powerbelt conical is well within what they allow.

CVA Manual:

3. SABOTED BULLETS—Modern sabots from various manufacturers havebeen tested and provide acceptable accuracy in CVA firearms whencomplying with the sabot manufacturer's recommendations for usage.

Caution: Do not use a saboted bullet weighing more than 300 grains.

LEAD CONICALS- The lead conical is one of the oldest designs around for muzzleloading guns. These bullets are typically heavy inweight and feature a hollow base that expands with pressure to seal thebore. Although lacking in some modern features they remain effectiveon short to medium range shots and are ideal for use in states that donot allow projectiles with plastic parts. Do not use lead conical bulletsweighing over 400 grains in your CVA rifle.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We both have the Older Model Stag Horn....it has the bolt that to be on Safe, you have to pull back on the bolt and flip the bolt up and forward for it to be on safe, pull it back and down and it is on fire... it is a pre 01 stag horn...a feature they changed in the newer model stag horns...the bolt on the newer models does not pull back and up and forward to be on safe...

We both got the kit when we went together and bought our inlines..... it had a Video in the kit that explained how to load, shoot and then how to disassemble and clean everything up and put it back together...I'll have to hunt around in all my papers on different firearms I have and see if I can find the owners manual on it...do not remember reading anything in the owners manual about being able to shoot any type of bullets over 300 grains!

In the video (and I'll ask my buddy if he still has his video) it stated while the guy was loading the stag horn.....
NO Bullets over 300 Grain, of which we can not find any over 295 so we use the nothing over 295 grains....it made not referance in the vidoe of those bullets being sabbots, conical or what ever type..the guy just said "No Bullets over 300 grains"

Since the video said NOT to use anything over 300 grains, I and my Buddy will NOT Load anything over 295 grain in our Stag Horns!

·
Premium Member
23,994 Posts
I personally don't trust videos as far as load info...ok for procedures, cleaning etc. Many are outdated or trying to cover too many products. Link to manual info covering some safety/loading info for your gun(BELOW). Some of the older Staghorns were subject to a voluntary recall pending when manufactured:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/cva_inline.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts