The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday had my son and me in some 'past-the-knees' water looking for some of those elusive bucks that I have on some of the cams. After 8 wet hours of excercise we decided to call it and head home.
Sunday night had us gathering our gear for another go for Monday. Woke to about 10" of snow and left it up to my son on where to hunt. Hopped in the truck for the drive to a spot that has a good number of deer. A half hour walk had us to a nice hemlock/maple/grapevine ridge where they bed during the winter season. The heavy snow left the hemlock branches sagging to the ground, which gave the deer the advantage- almost. 100 yards into the hemlocks I saw 2 doe bedded facing us. My watch said 8:45. The stalk was on. We only moved when the wind nocked the snow from the branches. It was now 10:00 and we had another 10 yards to go to get into range. I could tell my son was getting impatient by the way he was playing with the shooting sticks, and asking 'are we in range yet'.
I explained to him that there are thousands of people in the woods today, most of them have never shot a deer with a rifle let alone a flintlock, and in 10 minutes you are gonna experience what IT is all about.

We move the last yards into position and he got ready. Powder in the pan and cocked. Last check- 52 yards........Fizzcrack....virtually instantaneous....She ran through some vines and dissapeared. As soon as we took 5 step toward the tree we could see the spray. Good hit!......and there she lay, 40 yards.
Congrats to my 12 year old son, who has had one heck of a deer season. We aren't done yet

12/28/09 10:25 52 yards
T/C Firestorm 100 grains/ 295-PB

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
awesome job!!!

Nothing better than with the old flinchlock!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That has got to be the coolest! I tell ya after messing with my flintlock shoot a deer with my bow is simple compared to taking one with the flintlock.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Congrats to your son!and also to you for being a fine guide.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Congratulations to you and your son!!! That is pretty hard to do especially after the gun season and all. I like the story, it had me on the edge of my seat. Your son made a great shot and learned a lesson.... Persistance pays off! Great job guys.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Congratulations!!! That will be a memory he will have the rest of his life. The smile says it all! One heck of a young man to listen and be patient even when chomping at the bit.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Congratulations!! There aren't too many youngsters that can post that on their resumes. If that was his first with a flintlock, he'll never forget it.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Awesome!! My 22yr old is still wiating to get that first flinter deer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts