The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my son Cody(9) out for his first setup of the season. We got in stand around 5:00pm with a slight breeze out of the southwest. At 6:15pm a small 5pt came into the oaks about 60yrds in front of us. I tapped him on the shoulder and let him know "its a small 5pt". He said "big enough for me" as he stood and got the bow in his hand and the release attached to the loop. The buck moved off to the west and just then the 6pt i have been seeing all summer came out. He said "call to him". I made 2 soft doe bleats and he turned and began the approach. At 30yrds me sons say "why am i shaking and my knees knocking?". I said "that is what this is all about". The buck never came close enough for a shot as he turned and went to the west also. After alittle while the shakes went away. I live for this time of year. Its not about harvesting anything but making memories that will last forever.

The setup!

The View!

·
Registered
19,682 Posts
That is what it is all about. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Thats great!!! Love that "why am i shaking and my knees knocking?"....hooked for life now. What bow is he shooting and the pounds???

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
aahh great feelin aint it! I'm 25 and last night seein deer had me singin to myself and all bubbly in the treestand. Good luck to you and your boy!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
cool! how did you guys make out at the youth shoot in forksville?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My son got second and my daughter got third. Both had a shoot off. three way yie for second for my son and a 4 way tie for first for my daughter. How are you and the boys making out so far?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Go GETUM Cody!!! GREAT POST Letumgrow..

Keep updates of the season coming, best stuff on the net.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My daughter Megan(12) got out on Mon. night. We where in a setup at the top of a deep hollow. At 5:45pm a yearling doe came in to 5 yards. As the doe was moving in a asked her if she was going to shoot and she said "NO, shes too little" I said again are you sure she is going to give you a great shot. And the response again was "NO, i want a mature doe or a buck." I am very proud of her to be able to pass even thou she has never harvested a deer.

The set up.

The Doe stopped right in front of the stump at the bottom left of the pic. The view.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had Cody out Wed. night and a spike buck was coming in but stopped at 15yrds and turned and went out behind us. He has had three chances on bucks so far. Just havn't had a good shot yet. So far between the two of my kids they have seen 7 does, 13 fawns and 4 bucks. Lots of time yet and its only going to get better.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cody and i went out Thur. night and had two big does and 4 fawns around us for 2 hours. Had alot of fun watching. My daughters cat came down the hollow and climbed a tree next to us to keep us company. At one point the fawns where chasing each other at mach10 crashing thru the brush and jumping over each other. I am pretty sure this was the point when the does had enough and moved off since my son starting laughing out load. Great night. Megans turn tonight and Sat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts