The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions , for the last 8 years or so I have volunteered at a conservation camp to do the program on trapping . The kids are 14- 15 year olds , usually no trapping background , about 36 kids . Looking for some new ideas on what to talk to these kids about , my program is an hour . I have a fur bag , I take traps of various size and models . I try to talk about the ethics and reasons we trap . Just looking for some other feed back , just remember ... Young kids .

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I compare canines peeing at a post to their cellphone usage. gets them laughing and thinking how animals communicate. also the usage of skunk scent and beaver castor,perfume trade and some food grade applications. how to get a animal to step on that 2"circle,out of hundreds of acres.i let them ask the questions, they can keep you on your toes!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Appeal to their senses, especially the sense of smell.
For example, off stage, cook some bacon and ask if anyone
Can identify that smell.

Do the same thing with unmarked bottles of men's cologne
And women's perfume.

Use a kid friendly dog and hide a treat under a blanket
In the room.

As they say in teacher education classes,
Show, don't tell.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Dietsch. Give them permission to participate. Then hang on for dear life. Three levels of teaching hearing, seeing, going. to get questions I found it was in the doing phase that I get questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you outside somewhere that you can show how to make a set? For this years Youth Field day we added set making to our presentation. Inside a roped off area I dug beds. The first bed was left empty, next one staked trap and bedded, next pan cover, next started sifting and packing, next complete sifting. Then I had a finished flat set and dirt hole set. Used the extra dirt from all the beds as backing. I set my lures and baits by the finished sets. I stood behind each bed and explained the process of making the sets. Had all my tools and explained them as well during the process. All traps were wired open for safety. I also set out a mink box, basic wooden cubby, coon box, DP, and a cable restraint.

We pretty much covered everything from traps to location to putting the fur up. Had a fleshing beam and stretchers on display. Put an old home tanned grinner on the fleshing beam. We also do fur identification, which is usual the part than really gets them involved but the set demo this had them drooling. We had 40 minutes per group, used about 8 -10 minutes on the set demo.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
One thing I point out is anti-trapping & anti-hunting.
I show group a common fly swatter, common ant trap and a common mouse trap. I ask group what they are and why they are used.
I make it a point to say if we could look into the home of a vegetable eating anti trapping person, we could probably fine one or all killing devices for flies, ants & mice in their homes.

Sometimes have more questions from parents then the children. So that helps move time along.

I do let group set clam shell style or new style Victor 'kill bar' Mouse traps. (The two styles of traps are set by squeezing. Not by setting trigger in pan.)
I ask/show students proper location for a mouse trap.
I use mouse location to incorporate where they would set trap location for other furbearers. aka, knowing each animal and how it travels.
I challenge them to catch some mice at home.

I have a list of topics I want to cover. That way if someone is side tracking me, I can see what needs to be covered and get back on track.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all good points , however there are no parents . this is a week long stay over camp . I'm not trying to teach any trapping skills . just need to teach the points of trapping from a conservation point of view . the reasons why trapping is needed will be covered , as I said , this is about my 8th year . just trying to change it up a bit . I will take all advice in , possibly add some things

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dietsch, if you're just teaching the conservation aspect and why we trap, go to the FTA's education site furbearereducation.org

You may get a different angle on the words to use about why we trap. Look at the lessons in the center. If you wanted to show the DVD, "trapping in today's world" I could send you a copy. It was created for high school aged students and is about 20 minutes long

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.